Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has a HONDO PANTERA T-DECK

BrendellaJet
    We used to race one of those boats back in the 70's. Our son Doug, drove it and took the SDBA Comp Jet Champoinship in 1979. It was a boat named "MELLOW YELLOW" and ran 111 mph. We were probably making 750 or more HP. Jet boats have come a long way since then. It was a good ole boat, but there are many jet boats out there today that are a lot easer to make go fast. They are tough though. I barrel rolled it above 100 mph once and I broke more body parts than the boat did. HA!
    Duane, What pump were you running?
    I've had the bottom on mine blue printed by Jeff Bennett, delta pad removed, bottom speed coated etc. Jack reworked my Jacuzzi 12WJ to race specs and Im planning to run with 800 hp.
    Can you tell us more about Mellow Yellow? My hull has the recesses for the cav plates, did you run with these?
    What were the conditions that caused the barrel roll? Planning to use mine for just a river cruiser, and a river racer in the right conditions.

BrendellaJet
    My 78 Centurion has the hondo bottom, brendella bubble deck and I love the boat, it's a medium to light layup. Quick but no tach or gps @ 70 with mild 8.5 cr 468. WOT turning is a definite spinout.:supp: :sqeyes:
    Had a bass boat walk away from me the other day.:hammerhea Sooooo my guess is more power, 600 hp would be better.
    You guys post some pics, brendella jet, pantera......
    We have the same boat! Mine is a 77 but the HIN starts with CEE. Licensed as a Brendella though. Also has the bubble deck.

Hondo
    I have a 79 Hondo Pantera. It has a mild 460 with logs thru the transom and a Berkely 12jc with a Place Diverter. It runs just under 70 at about 5000 rpm.
    I would be interested in knowing wether anyone has run these with a droop snoot and how they responded to it.

daddy b
    We have the same boat! Mine is a 77 but the HIN starts with CEE. Licensed as a Brendella though. Also has the bubble deck.
    CEE is Centurion, long lost brother........ show a pic
    The Pantera, Centurion, Brendella is more narrow and laid back at the rear.
    There is some 110 mph barrier I have heard to keep them under, and I've noticed a slight porpoise at 35 with the plate loose.

daddy b
    Hey Hondo, did the place diverter help the boat any???

Hondo
    Hey Hondo, did the place diverter help the boat any???
    The place diverter is good for 3 or 4 mph over its adjustment range. I know where it would have run with a stock nozzle. The boat rides wet even with the nozzle up.

BrendellaJet
    I have a 79 Hondo Pantera. It has a mild 460 with logs thru the transom and a Berkely 12jc with a Place Diverter. It runs just under 70 at about 5000 rpm.
    I would be interested in knowing wether anyone has run these with a droop snoot and how they responded to it.
    When I get mine back on the water im gonna try a droop. Already bought it. If it dont work Ill get rid of it. Ill let you know how it works.
    These boats are definitely narrow.
    Ill get some pics up soon. I recently painted it all white and dont have any pics.

Sticky Fingers
    put a droop on mine and am now having porpoising problems. I had it before and after the shoe, ride plate was installed. I would like to hear more about mellow yellow. Did it still have the delta pad?

The "Liquid Thunder" is a Pantera GT. I was told that this boat would run just over 100 with 750 hp. The "Hurry Round Hondo" is a Pantera. It has gone really fast before, but that was way before I owned it. I have around 500 hp in it now but did'nt get around to gps'ing it this summer.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...id_Thunder.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...4P1010110A.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast