Thread: V Drive for dummies

TX Daytona
    Well that backwords pan thing just opened up a whole new bucket of worms for me.
    While I'm at it, the casale unit sets about between the from seats and there is a water intake right next to it with a hose the size of a car heater hose that appears to come up to the casale. Then there is a hose that looks like it should go from the casale to a transmission oil cooler and then back out the bottom of the boat.
    Shoemaker tells me that the casale unit doesn't have a water pump in it so apparently just the water pressure on the bottom of the boat pushes the water through. But it looks like that water pick up would be out of the water if you were really getting after it. Is this not a problem?

Ratacole
    The water keeps the box cool but some guys have huge gears & have to cut out the water jacket. You don't need water, just like the rear end in your car dosn't need water. For me, by the time I am done getting after it & the boat sets a little bit back down my box has cooled off.
    The person who could help answer alot of your questions is Tom Bentley at Menkens V-Drives (530)885-0531. Hope this helped.

Most boats don't run that free for that long. But if you do the oil cooler will much more of a concern than the vdrive as far as not getting water. Many vdrives aren't cooled at all as mentioned above and it's not a problem except in long endurance running.

beaverfab
    Tx Daytond sent you a e mail I an in Covington Tx not far from you if I can help you let me know. We boat on the Brazos river and would like for you to join us when you can. j.j. smile_sp