Thread: Need a BBC V-drive Oil Pan,,,,,,,,,,

smalls
    I am lookin for a V-drive oil pan and pickup for a Big Block Chevy..............
    THANKS, Smalls

TX Daytona
    OK Guys I am about to show my ignorance. I just got my first V Drive, a 19 Ft Daytona Mini Daycruiser (not an Elimintor Daytona), how is the oil pan for a v drive different than any other?

GofastRacer
    It's because regular v-drive boats have the motor in backwards (flywheel facing forward) and it takes a backwards pan(sump on opposite end), real v-drive boats have the motor facing the right way(flywheel facing back)!!.Oh shit, here we go!.. eek! BTW, welcome to the jungle, have fun!, it's all good!..

uclahater
    smalls:
    I am lookin for a V-drive oil pan and pickup for a Big Block Chevy..............
    THANKS, Smalls I have a chromed oil pan for sale if your fly wheel is at the front of the motor. PM me with your number if your interested.

TX Daytona
    Blast, I clicked in the wrong place and did a new post. Sorry. This backwords pan thing has opened a whole new can of worms for me. I just built a 454 for my jet boat and decided to temporarily put it in the V Drive, I thought. Crap! Oh Well.
    While I'm here, the Casale unit in this boat sits between the front seats. Right next to it is a water inlet in the bottom of the boat with a hose coming up to the v drive, to cool it I guess. there is another hose going from the v drive to the trans cooler and then out the bottom of the boat. With the water inlet so far forward in the hull isn't it out of the water when your really getting after it? If so is this not a problem?
    According to Greg Shoemaker, this boat was probably rigged by Tommy Baron, whose family owns Hallet. That being the case he likely knows what he's doing. On these boats do you just use an auto water pump for engine cooling?

TX Daytona
    I'm not even sure I want to hear the answer to this. In a v drive boat, if the front of the engine is toward the back of the boat do you have to hav an engine that runs backwards from the way it would in a jet boat? If not how could you run the v drive off the front of the engine as I have heard some people talk about?

stump
    No the engine does not run backwards.In a V drive boat the boats that race roundy round ''circle boats '' drive off the harmonic balancer side of the engine or ''front of the engine '' the crankshaft has to have an extra keyway cut into it in order to mount the dive shaft flange,The reason for this is to make the prop spin towards the right,this causes the boat to kind of want to turn left,it also, from what i've been told allows the prop to be able to turn more RPM's while under the load of the turn.
    The props used are right hand props also.The oil pans used are large but the pickup will be in the back so when bow rises oil wil be there.
    The Drag boats run off the flywheel or Back of the engine they use a left hand rotation prop.
    From what i've been told,the reason for this is so a transmission can be used ,A lot of the High Power Boats will run a Turbo 400 auto trans or a power glide 2 speed.,Oil pans on these boats are large capacity but oil pickups are extended from pump to the rear of the boat .Your jetboat engine will have the pick up towards rear if you spin it around an put it in a v drive when you take of the oil will run towards rear of engine away from pickup ,engine bearings will probably run dry and it will start making all kinds of weird noises.so if your gonna do it do it right. hope this helps some .