Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: problems with CMI headers?

Mike K
    I am about to buy a set of CMI headers for my 496. I v'e read tons of good things about them ... but I think I read somewhere that someone had some 'leaking" problems? Anyone hear any bad things other than the high price? Also ... if these headers are the only "non stock" piece of equipment on my engine .. do you think they will void my warranty? Thanks, Mike

phebus
    The only negative I've heard is that they are a pain in the ass to install. The kit with the relocation hardware isn't a no brainer, and may require some fabrication.

Havasu47
    Never had to do any fabricating but they do take some time to install. The only real problem we have had is them not being aligned with the existing exhaust tips. Technically any modifications will void your warranty.

dumbandyoung
    Imco Imco Imco!!!

2forcefull
    The only negative I've heard is that they are a pain in the ass to install. The kit with the relocation hardware isn't a no brainer, and may require some fabrication.
    yeah, what he said:supp:

Bullhead Bully
    I have 2 sets on my 28 daytona , yes they work, they are a real pain to install after a boat is rigged , you might have to do new tailpipes. As far as warranty the other person is correct there is probally no warranty once they are installed. Also relocating all the electical is alittle tricky if you mount it were the loom gets tight you could have a few problems. Good luck

VDRIVERACING
    I have a pair that developed a leak from the inner star on one of the headers. Thinking CMI MIGHT be able to help me, I shipped back to their facility in WI, or wherever, and they were ZERO help. They just wanted to sell me new ones. A friend out here is a welder and finally fixed it for me.
    For the price, I wouldn't reccomend these. I have never, ever, heard of complaints with IMCO. Unless you need a big shiny piece, I suggest you consider all options before laying $6,000+ on CMI's.

Havasu47
    I have a pair that developed a leak from the inner star on one of the headers. Thinking CMI MIGHT be able to help me, I shipped back to their facility in WI, or wherever, and they were ZERO help. They just wanted to sell me new ones. A friend out here is a welder and finally fixed it for me.
    For the price, I wouldn't reccomend these. I have never, ever, heard of complaints with IMCO. Unless you need a big shiny piece, I suggest you consider all options before laying $6,000+ on CMI's.
    CMI'S for a 496 should be between $3800.00 and $4000.00. How old were your CMI'S? They have warranteed headers for us that were over 2 years old.
    Imco does make a great product, but I don't think they make exhaust for the 496 yet.

VDRIVERACING
    CMI'S for a 496 should be between $3800.00 and $4000.00. How old were your CMI'S? They have warranteed headers for us that were over 2 years old.
    Imco does make a great product, but I don't think they make exhaust for the 496 yet.
    The price you have is for the "sport" headers, not the big tubes. The sport headers are like standard headers 2" primaries and 4" OD collectors. For a 496 with any kind of mods I would go with bigger tubes( a couple thousand more). Also, that price does not include the extension pipes you'll need to go through the transom, or any kind of turn downs or mufflers(sound abatement). Count on another couple of grand for those.
    The CMI headers look awesome, and they keep things cool and safe. However, they cost a lot! In considering this project, I suggest you discuss the "complete" set of components you'll need, and the installation costs. Mine were past warrenty. I didn't ask them to do anything for free, but they wouldn't do anything period, and they were repairable.
    As for the 496, I have raced against ski-racers with bigger motors and probably in the 1,000 HP range using IMCO's. They work. Like every boat decision, it comes down to your priorities and disposable income. The CMIs look great, but cost is very high. If both peformance and bang for the buck are the order of the day, I've seen some nicely dressed IMCO's that would complement most any engine comparment.

Havasu47
    The price you have is for the "sport" headers, not the big tubes. The sport headers are like standard headers 2" primaries and 4" OD collectors. For a 496 with any kind of mods I would go with bigger tubes( a couple thousand more). Also, that price does not include the extension pipes you'll need to go through the transom, or any kind of turn downs or mufflers(sound abatement). Count on another couple of grand for those.
    The CMI headers look awesome, and they keep things cool and safe. However, they cost a lot! In considering this project, I suggest you discuss the "complete" set of components you'll need, and the installation costs. Mine were past warrenty. I didn't ask them to do anything for free, but they wouldn't do anything period, and they were repairable.
    As for the 496, I have raced against ski-racers with bigger motors and probably in the 1,000 HP range using IMCO's. They work. Like every boat decision, it comes down to your priorities and disposable income. The CMIs look great, but cost is very high. If both peformance and bang for the buck are the order of the day, I've seen some nicely dressed IMCO's that would complement most any engine comparment.
    CMI does not make the style header you are talking about for the Merc 8.1 (496). We are a CMI dealer and are very aware of all of the different type of CMI headers and their cost. The 496 that Mike K asked about is the Merc 8.1 (496). Not a modified Mark IV, GenV, or GenVI GM engine. There is only one option available for them from CMI. The Elbow top. We are also a Dealer for IMCO and as I said they are a great product, however, IMCO does not produce exhaust for the Merc 8.1 (496).

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast