Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: problems with CMI headers?

VDRIVERACING
    Gotcha... Thanks for the clarification.

ULTRA26 # 1
    I am about to buy a set of CMI headers for my 496. I v'e read tons of good things about them ... but I think I read somewhere that someone had some 'leaking" problems? Anyone hear any bad things other than the high price? Also ... if these headers are the only "non stock" piece of equipment on my engine .. do you think they will void my warranty? Thanks, Mike
    Mike,
    I haven't had any problem with my CMI's leaking. I read a Mrec Service Bulletin that stated that warranty is voided for engine damage caused by any aftermarket item. I put CMI's on my HO when it was 2 months old, last August. My HO now has 65 hours on it and no issue at all. Definite performance improvment plus they look and sound much better than stock.
    Merry Christmas
    John M

ULTRA26 # 1
    I bought mine from Trick Marine polished for $3600. I think shipping was about $100.
    John M

Pro Max
    No issue with mine I like them a lot,

ToMorrow44
    I think the CMI 496 kit is the best way to get more power out of the 496. It is a little pricey, but typical gains are 3-6mph throughout the entire power band. There was one boat that I heard of that gained 9mph but I don't know what it is. Sometimes you will even go up a prop size with the new headers.
    One thing to look out for is that Mercury changes little things here and there throughout the years, so even though the CMI kit is supposed to be a direct bolt on, you may have to do some fabricating with the brackets. I've helped out several people with this installation.
    Oh and I forgot to mention, the boat will sound like it has a big nasty big block in it with these headers.
    -Tom

Mike K
    Thanks to everyone who got back to me. Your input helped me out a lot. Like "tomorrow 44" said ... the CMI's will give me a cool sounding engine, that really was my motivation , right now my boat sounds like a 283 with single exhaust! I am bringing my boat to Mack at Eliminator in Lake Havasu this Wednesday to have him install the headers ... I will post how everything goes. Thanks!

brad22
    If you want a header that will give you power, look nice, sound good, and wont leak, not to mention is easier to install. Go with Lightnings. Less expensive and better quality. Instead of having a bunch of welds in the inner tube Lightnings are all one-piece mandrel bent tubes. Eventually those CMI welds will break down and you will have problems. Just because it is more expensive doesnt mean that it is the best out there. Just trying to help you out, not bashing CMI.

Concept1
    I just looked up the Lightning headers and they are the same price, 3600.00

Beer-30
    I just looked up the Lightning headers and they are the same price, 3600.00
    Yes, for stainless. If you are not going in salt water, all-stainless is not necessary. The inner tubes of the standard Lightnings are stainless, the outers are coated steel. As long as they are treated nicely, they would last as long as you have your boat. Plus, you can color-match them!

Concept1
    YEA !!! At 2190.00 that is a hell of alot cheaper, I just ordered mine right now! Thanks again Beer-30!!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast