Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: problems with CMI headers?

Beer-30

Mike K
    Yep you guys were right ... a major PITA to install. Lance , the knowledgeable pro rigger at Eliminater in Havasu spent several hours installing the headers ... the instructions were about 20 pages with small print. Now I am looking at an additional $1500 for SS fabricated pipes to hook up to my exhaust holes and tips. (wasn't Eliminator's fault ... I will post the pictures of the headers installed and how far away they are from the exit holes.) This kind of dough ? ... I think I would have gone the Raylar route or saved for a pre-built 525 or something.

Beer-30
    Yep you guys were right ... a major PITA to install. Lance , the knowledgeable pro rigger at Eliminater in Havasu spent several hours installing the headers ... the instructions were about 20 pages with small print. Now I am looking at an additional $1500 for SS fabricated pipes to hook up to my exhaust holes and tips. (wasn't Eliminator's fault ... I will post the pictures of the headers installed and how far away they are from the exit holes.) This kind of dough ? ... I think I would have gone the Raylar route or saved for a pre-built 525 or something.
    You would still need the headers on the Raylar kit. You can still use your installed headers if/when you install a Raylar kit. The installation would have been the same after the heads were changed. Same headers, same dimensions in the boat. Now, you are one step ahead. Look at it that way.
    The other reason I am partial to the Lightnings is that they are designed to be direct replacements for Merc manifolds. Basically, the tips end up right where the stock risers ended, just closer to the transom. Ultimately, just the hose should need to be cut shorter. I have not installed any, but this is what all of the instructions say for the Lightnings. It appears that the CMIs end up higher and shorter than original, necessitating S-pipes.

Quality Time
    Is Raylar using CMI's or Bassetts? Ran with a guy in MI poker run with one of the first Raylar kits in his Velocity and he had Bassetts.

ULTRA26 # 1
    CMI made my custom tails for an additonal $300. I agree that the install was a major pain.
    John M

Beer-30
    Is Raylar using CMI's or Bassetts? Ran with a guy in MI poker run with one of the first Raylar kits in his Velocity and he had Bassetts.
    I have seen Raylar kits with all different headers. The link for the video that I posted early in the page is a full Raylar kit with Lightnings.
    Typically, they use CMIs, but they are not technically included in the Raylar kit. Raylar was designed for the motor, and you pick the exhaust - or just leave stockers on.
    Some have used the Revolution Marine manifolds, some Rex, some Bassett. You could technically use any BBC exhaust (bolts/ports are the same), if you just add the water temp sensors for the ECM.

Quality Time
    Thanks for the clarification

Raylar
    Beer30
    Raylar BCK103 525HP kits make 525hp on stock Mercury 496 exhaust. Add headers or Dana 496 exhaust and the 496 will make between 560-to 570HP. We and others have tested this on many different 496's with and without headers around the country with about the same exact results. Our 600HP plus reworked 496's need headers for these power levels. As for the headers available there are lots of good choices. From what I now understand the prices range from about $5000 CMI to about $2500 for Dana 496manifold/headers. As for installation, I would rate the CMI's as a little difficult and the Dana system as moderate to easy. Why is that, its because we have installed both and we worked with Dana and helped design the Dana 496 installation kit. CMI didn't ask! These two header systems will add between 45-50HP to 496's as we have dyno tested on stock motors. Both excellent products! pick your poison!
    Best Regards,
    Ray @ Raylar

Raylar
    Beer30
    Raylar BCK103 525HP kits make 525hp on stock Mercury 496 exhaust. Add headers or Dana 496 exhaust and the 496 will make between 560-to 570HP. We and others have tested this on many different 496's with and without headers around the country with about the same exact results. Our 600HP plus reworked 496's need headers for these power levels. As for the headers available there are lots of good choices. From what I now understand the prices range from about $5000 CMI to about $2500 for Dana 496manifold/headers. As for installation, I would rate the CMI's as a little difficult and the Dana system as moderate to easy. Why is that, its because we have installed both and we worked with Dana and helped design the Dana 496 installation kit. CMI didn't ask! These two header systems will add between 45-50HP to 496's as we have dyno tested on stock motors. Both excellent products! pick your poison!
    Best Regards,
    Ray @ Raylar

Quality Time
    Ray,
    I've noticed that Hardin makes a header for the new generation 496's, any experience with them?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast