Thread: need some help on motor placement ??

johnnywalker
    hello, i'm new to the boat world. i need a little help on where to place the motor in my boat . Its a 17 foot flatbottom v-drive . going to be putting a 460 big block ford in it. motor is not built yet. i would like to get 700 hp at the crank. i would like to go 100 mph thats all maybe a little faster . The 12 deg strut is mounted 27 inch from the back of the boat that is the only thing that i would like to leave alone everything else is out of the boat. The boat is 1969 passaut . The gear ratio is 1.18 in the v-drive. I will need to buy a new prop. I don't know what the hull weight is . i will try to post more if i can find anything out . thanks vdriveracing - 058

VDRIVERACING
    The FB gurus are going to ask you who manufactured the hull.

The FB gurus are going to ask you who manufactured the hull.
    They are going to ask alot more than that....like V-drive placement, strut location, HP of the engine [real world HP, not what you think it makes] Hull weight and a gaggle of other questions I'm overlooking at the moment. It would help also to have a reasonable goal in mind, not "I wanna go as fast as I can on a $500.00 budget 'cause thats what the wife will let me spend" Gearbox O/D and prop specs are always good to know too. Next you will need to see to it the underwater gear is up to snuff to handle the real HP of the engine. A bronze 12deg. strut, a bronze 3 blade prop and a Bayliner rudder isn't gonna work either. The gurus are willing to help but ya gotta help them help you.

GofastRacer
    Yes indeed, need a lot more info!..