Thread: Cam choice help

f_inscreenname
    I just started my 454 build and need some help with a cam choice. This is the plan. Dip the block and hone the deck and cylinders to the new pistons and wrist pins I just bought. They are .210 Domed Speed proÂ’s. That should give me 9.38 to 1 with the heads I am using now (Peanut heads 14092360) and will give room to move a little when I pick up a different set in the future. The heads are completely rebuilt and will be fine for a year or so. Molly rings, new bearing (cam, main & rod). True Double Roller timing chain. Yes I will degree the cam when its time. A new cam, lifters and valve springs (matching set). Melling HV oil pump with HV shaft (gotta have good oil pressure). Edelbrock Air Gap dual plane manifold. Mercruiser Thunderbolt ignition and distributor with a Super Stock coil. My cooling system off of my Chrysler and new single wire alternator also. Topped off with my Edelbrock 750, some 8mm wires and a few other things.
    The last thing will be some sort of header exhaust like I had on my Mopar (Hi Tek‘s).
    Do you think this cam will work? I have had a couple guys on here say go milder and then there is the OSO guys that are running much bigger cams in much bigger boats (mine is only 19Â’) so I thought I would split the difference.
    http://www.naparts.com/ProductModelD...tModelId=15054
    Chevy 396-502 cid, RPM Range 2000-4500, Adv Dur 296 intake/296 exhaust, Dur @.050 218 intake/218 exhaust, Valve Lift 519 intake/519 exhaust, Lobe C/L 110.
    Or something like this?
    http://www.naparts.com/ProductModelD...tModelId=15058
    Chevy 396-502 cid, RPM Range 2800-5800, Adv Dur 288 intake/288 exhaust, Dur @.050 230 intake/230 exhaust, Valve Lift 544 intake/544 exhaust, Lobe C/L 109.

watergun4u
    I just finished building a motor somewhat like the one your are building, and I would use the second one you posted, the 544, thats what i am running, and it works well , great out of the hole, and good top end, and i have no problem pulling skiers if need be! it is put out by crane, its the enigizer kit, comes with cam, lifters around 135 bucks, but make sure you have at least 135lbs spring presure at the seat, or you will start to float valves at around 4300, my boat is also a 18 ft boat , so weight wise should be around the same.if you want pics email me at boatdawgo@aol.com

f_inscreenname
    Thanks Watergun
    I have used a couple Energizers in a couple small blocks I have built and have liked them. Just thought I would look outside of the box a little. From what I have found out all the cam's are made by one or two companies anyway so the name is no big deal and Speed pro is always been a good name for me anyway.

MACHINEHEAD
    The larger of the two would be my choice. Its hard to find a good single spring that will fit those heads without machining. Machine the head for a larger single spring and shim accordingly. I think I used a Comp 942 spring with rotator spacers. This will give you 110lbs. @ 1.750 installed height and and about 285 lbs at .544 lift. Perfect IMO. Although it is very very very close to coil bind. Check everything and make sure you cut for pc seals. Or you Will have retainer clearance issues at .500 lift.