Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Intake Duct

OverKill
    Sounds and looks like a great idea. I feel us jet boaters need to take a step up in technology, and come up with a better intake than all this thirty year old stuff. Unchained I first would start of by counter sinking all the mounting hardware, and second bring the bottom firther back for more of a new age rideplate or something. Most of all make it ajustable. It is in fact areodynamicly sound, to adjust the lift and backflow at the same time of the intake would by far be a step forward. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

sanger rat
    If the bottom of the duct is parallell to the keel and the hull is moving with the bow 5 degrees \ up that puts the front of duct at a 5 degrees \ up too. That would mean that the duct is plowing water. Thus creating a void on the backside between the duct and the keel. I understand that it would create lift at that point. But wouldn't that also be taking water away from loading into the suction?

IMPATIENT 1
    wouldn't ya think that the bottom of the duct should be the matched to the ride plate? it makes sense that if a longer ride plate helps some boats and adds some drag, this duct could be ran in place of a longer ride and achieve the same effect plus the safety benefit???? make any sense? i like all the thinking and shiat i'm reading here lately nice change of pace around here

sanger rat
    Duct at 5* and keel at 5* How would the duct be plowing? Because most hulls do not ride at 0 degrees the bottom of the duct would be plowing water.

Old Guy
    Before you get too worried about attack angles, it might be a good idea to check out "hydrofoils". They are odd looking little "wings" that some folks use to lift quite large watercraft completely out of the water as they go along really fast.
    The little wing like devices must create a huge amount of drag HOWEVER, they also generate a huge amount of lift. The lift is far greater than the drag......and they go very fast for their size. The concept works very well.
    old

steelcomp
    Before you get too worried about attack angles, it might be a good idea to check out "hydrofoils". They are odd looking little "wings" that some folks use to lift quite large watercraft completely out of the water as they go along really fast.
    The little wing like devices must create a huge amount of drag HOWEVER, they also generate a huge amount of lift. The lift is far greater than the drag......and they go very fast for their size. The concept works very well.
    oldWouldn't that idea require the duct to ride on the surface?

steelcomp
    The wings on a foil are under the surface when runningYeah, but they're the only things in the water. I'll ask this...does a hydrofoil create lift by deflection, or by pressure differential?

Old Guy
    Yeah, but they're the only things in the water. I'll ask this...does a hydrofoil create lift by deflection, or by pressure differential?
    Why does it matter?
    old

Old Guy
    Not pickin on you Steel, it's just that I feel that as long as it works, and you can use it.....how much of your life you wanna spend proving why it works?
    old

steelcomp
    And so would the hull if the duct wasn't there.I think you're missing the point. There's no water going over the top of the hull. It's really not plowing through the water, it's planing on top of the water. The duct is plowing through the water.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast