Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Engine Rotation for a Jet

Bow Tie Omega
    I have a question. I am getting some conflicting info with my research and need some help. I have a BBC, Panther Jet and am getting ready to fire her up. The starter is turning the motor clockwise, looking at the front of the motor, I am assuming that this is a right hand rotation. Well, I have been told that a right hand rotation motor is standard, which a jet is. Now, all of the searches I have done for the rotation say that a standard rotation firing order is 18436572 . These references never refer to the rotation as right hand or left hand, just standard. Now, this schematic I found said that a right hand rotation firing order is 12756348, while the left hand rotation is 18436572. So, my questions are, is "standard rotation" right hand or left hand when looking at the front of the motor. Second, what in the hell is the firing order for a right hand rotating motor (when looking at the front of the motor) Thanks for the help in advance

cyclone
    For a bbc you'll wire the distributor cap clockwise and the firing order is
    1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2-
    cylinder number one is at the front of the motor on the drivers side.

Bow Tie Omega
    Thanks Cyclone. So much conflicting info. Thanks for the 411

Bow Tie Omega
    This is the schematic giving me hell. Thanks again

Bow Tie Omega
    I down loaded a few pics and built this one up. A schematic that works. I will put it in the "How To Section".

rrrr
    I say try it both ways, using the 12756348 order first.
    :jawdrop:

SmokinLowriderSS
    If you are sitting looking at the front ot the engine, the balancer spins the top of itself to the right, clockwise, but, if you are the engine, it is to the left side (think sitting atop the intake).
    It is properly, a left-hand rotation because the top of the crank moves to the left, of the engine. The usual position of looking at the front of the engine, is backwards.
    "Be the engine" Danny.
    Glad I could help clarify this.

Bow Tie Omega
    Hhhhuuuuuummmmmmm

EXTREMEBOATS
    If you are sitting looking at the front ot the engine, the balancer spins the top of itself to the right, clockwise, but, if you are the engine, it is to the left side (think sitting atop the intake).
    It is properly, a left-hand rotation because the top of the crank moves to the left, of the engine. The usual position of looking at the front of the engine, is backwards.
    "Be the engine" Danny.
    Glad I could help clarify this.
    Standard is always left hand rotation. Counter is to the right. The only two changes are the cam and firing order. Another reason you here what direction the prop turns with a v-drive. The engine is in the boat backwards and the v-drive changes the rotation of the prop. Circle boats run off the front of the crank. And the v-drive again turns things around. Being sure of how your stuff was meant to work save's the grief and expence of trying to find parts. ALWAYS ASK WHEN YOUR NOT SURE....
    Mike

GofastRacer
    Well now I'm all screwed up, if this is for a ditch pump what would it be if it was in a pickup truck!...
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...4&d=1167679094

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast