Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Block Chev / Berkley Wannabe

carbiz2
    Am interested in buying a TURN-KEY, DEPENDABLE, SHARP BBC/Berkley powered 18'-21'. Looked at(on the web) Tahiti, Elimnator, Sanger, Kona, Mandella, Sleekcraft, Haskell, PLacecraft among others. Still don't know enough to pull the trigger on a boat of this type.
    Pretty cornfused now.
    Pricing is all over the board-
    $1k-$10k no engine
    $3k-$20 with engine
    Planing on spending less than $10k for a formidable machine.
    Most of the boats I have enquired about are on the west coast. May be a bit far for a newbie (who doesn't know **** about these rig). Maybe not?
    Have owned 3 boats- 26' cruiser, 30' cruiser, 40' houseboat. I need something with a bit more excitement. This type of boat looks like it will fill that gap.
    Had a small block 406ci in a '68 Camaro that ran high 10's in the 1/4- A very dependable street car- sold it when they got up to $25k.
    Built race car trans for years (GM only).
    Had 13 Harleys over the last 20 years. Oldest being a 1950 Panhead.
    So, mechanically, I am somewhat sound. (mentally-questionable)
    Can someone point me down the path of righteousnous with regard to FAST JET BOATS?
    I plan to use the boat on the Illinois and Mississippi rivers, Illinois and Missouri lakes. It will be a pleasure boat only- not sanctioned competition. Although, I always liked street raciong, so, boat must be able to perform when called upon.
    It must:
    A.) be relaible
    B.) be good looking
    C.) run better than A and B
    Pre-she-ate any and all comments, links, notions, notes, speeches, pictures, descriptions, information, best Berkley drive set-up, best impeller grind, 1 or 2 carbs, ignitions, weirdness stuff, stay away from it stuff, ANYTHING!, etc etc etc.
    Anybody selling a boat here?
    Have cash, will travel
    Thanks Again, really appreciate the help

Try Duane @ Hi-Tech Performance ... he's in the midwest (Kansas), and should have a line on a boat that should fit your need in your area.
    http://www.hi-techperformance.com/
    Good Luck.

Moneypitt
    How about putting your location where it can be seen along with your posts? I think you will get more local responses when people know where local is.......I know of a 22 or 23' Sleekcraft day cruise type boat, BBC and Berk, but it is a project boat, complete, but not running. These are the deals out there. Turn key stuff has both advantages and disadvantages.......Where are you?.................MP

carbiz2
    My signature line includes:
    Springfield, IL
    I don't have anything toi be seen, I am a wannabe at this point.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Try Duane @ Hi-Tech Performance ... he's in the midwest (Kansas), and should have a line on a boat that should fit your need in your area.
    http://www.hi-techperformance.com/
    Good Luck.
    Great suggestion Brian.
    Call duane, He is very friendly and may know of something that might suit your needs

boatgonewild
    I know I sure like my 18' Tarva, Im from central Cal and kinda spoiled on cally boats but my big block chevy, and berkley turn key every sunday.My boat is always the truck in case of a fire all pull the boat out and call the wife to say the house is on fire. Justkiddin am not married
    Randy in mesa, AZ

BrendellaJet
    If you are looking to go fast, then definitely get a hull with a proven safety record. Rogers are good boats and are plentiful. CP's, Hallet's, Eliminators, Kachina's are all names that are pretty plentiful with decent performance capabilities. Id buy something running so you can get the feel for a jet boat, what it can & cant do(trial and error)
    I would buy something that is relatively stock, and look it over real well. Make sure paint/body are in good shape, hull/stringers/floor are solid. Definitely take a test drive too. Spend the summer playing with it and then figure out how fast you can afford to go.
    Spam section is a good place to shop.Do some research & ask questions about boats before you buy. Duane should have some leads for you too. I think your location will be the biggest obstacle. If you want a California boat, the best place to get one is California...

centerhill condor
    I've got a "friend of mine" that has a boat that might interest you. PM your email and I'll forward to him.

inwo
    Here is a clean, fast minicruiser in SE MN.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...ghlight=condor

Aluminum Squirt
    I'm a little partial, as everybody on here knows, but are you running on a river that has sand bars, shallow spots, floating logs, or any small tributaries?? If so, I would like to recommend an aluminum hull (either tunnel or V) from Eagle boats in Canada. They also sell through Gator boats, I think is Missouri. They are fast, very unique, and brutally strong. You can't detroy an aluminum boat, you just dent it up. At the end of the day, get out your hammer or, if its pretty bad, a welder, and give it a tune up. No working with glass, curing times, etc etc. No need to add a rail kit for mounting your engine, the boat is by definitiion its own rail kit. They are light weight and strong and will never rot. Nobody will show up with your same boat at the ramp. They're not for everybody, but take a look, I think you'll be impressed.
    PS-I've run mine through class III rapids, and I only need about 3" of water to keep it going. Mine is a small V hull and it turns like a slot car. The tunnels don't quite turn as well but there are quite efficient. I'm getting a little under 80 MPH with a 355 HP SBC. A tunnel will get you right around 100 MPH with around 600 HP give or take a few
    www.jetboatracing.com
    www.outlaweagle.com
    www.gatorjetboats.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast