Thread: Stupid v-drives questions

BBTAHITI
    I am considering getting a vintage flat, but I have a few questions for you guys. I have been a jetter and have the normal habits. Without slamming jets, can anyone tell me what the limitations of a v-drive are? I beach the Tahiti, run it in shallow water and it's a family boat. What habits will I have to change? Speed will not be the new boats mission in life (although I never have run a stock bigblock).
    BBT

Kindsvater Flat
    Well you definately don't want to run really shallow water and I wouldn't beach it. I wanted a 19' when I bought mine. The extra room is nice for the family to ride in. And just think of the money you will save on gas since you won't have to throttle on all the time to move around.

A jetter with normal habits? Never happen The flat will ride a bit rougher than what you are used to in the jet. Alot of the ride quality is dependent on the hull design, weight and how you drive it. If you have a true flat don't go chasing down wake board boats looking to test your ride quality but if driven with common sense the ride won't be such a big deal. The gas you will save is another side benefit. My guess is you will use about half the fuel compaired to what you are using now in the jet. This can be a selling point to the wifey if she needs to be persuaded.

BBTAHITI
    Happily, the wife has no issue with WHAT I get (but a boat riding rougher than a 18' Tahiti is hard to imagine!). eek!
    Hopefully, I'll see the boat this weekend. From what I understand, it's a true flat with a wood deck. '60s vintage classic. I can't tell you what make yet, that would tip my hand.