Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaft log seal?

bocco
    I have the white plastic rope type shaft seal. I replaced the packing at the end of last summer. Snugged it pretty good and ran for one last weekend. No leaks but it looks like it cooked a glob of hard black grease out the front. Did I tighten it to much? Should I replace the rope seal or just buy a whole new metal seal. I have also heard that it's best to to run the longest hose possible. This seems like it would make the seal run dryer?
    Thanks
    Gary

The white plastic seals are built by design to drip every few seconds to lube the packing. If you tighten them up too tight it will smoke the packing, then they will leak. The black glob could be the the result of melted plastic and packing.
    The longer hose length is to minimize side load on "any type of seal" that is normally present due to slight shaft log vs. prop shaft mis-alignment. It simply makes them wear less. Unless you're carrying the nose to a point where the shaft hole is out of the water for long distances you should not have a problem with the seal area seeing water.

Schiada76
    I had one of those in the POS, never again. They suck!
    Changed it to a grease seal type this summer and no problems.
    Had a PYI in the Schiada and took that fawker out too. Put in a new dual seal with shaft bushing type in. No more dribbles off my shaft.

ran the white plastic/rope deal for years, with no real issues, but when they put in a rule requireing us to run a full size steel split safety collar in front of the shaft log, it wouldn't fit, so we switched to the grease seal type. Can't believe I ran that other POS that long. I will never go back.

GofastRacer
    I ran one of those too when I didn't know any better, but after going to a grease type seal, would never use the rope thing again, in fact I got one if anybody wants one!..

lucky
    love my double sealed grease seal plastic - boat= water = piece of mind

bocco
    love my double sealed grease seal plastic - boat= water = piece of mind
    The double sealed one in the Rex Marine catalog says it's water cooled. Do I have to run a water line to it?

dmontzsta
    The double sealed one in the Rex Marine catalog says it's water cooled. Do I have to run a water line to it?
    If it is the same one I bought, it just has a water dump on it. You could by a thread piece to go in there, so that you block it off, this is what I may do.
    Also, the Rex double seal is a VERY nice piece, well worth the price.

Brazos River Rat
    I thought on the double seal, you had to dump water into it to keep from burning the seals up .

RUSHIN ROULETTE
    I smoked a couple of the plastic type seals too! Switched to the metal one from Rex..no more issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast