Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Report on Plasma HELP

Wet Dream
    My wife went off and bought a Sanyo 42" plasma TV today, model number 42746. Well, its hooked up and everything we are watching looks like it has film over the whole screen. The dish is not plasma yet so neither are any of the inputs, just regular dish thru co-ax. I'm not impressed with the picture. Can anyone find reviews on this or help get the pic a little (or alot) better? It does have HDMI inputs, and a load of rca jacks, but the old 32" was clearer. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? HELP.

shueman
    You need HD programming....try a DVD.....

scooooter7
    Yup, if the DVD is clear then there is hope for the TV. I've had a 42" Sylvania that is only ED (enhanced definition) for over a year. The picture is fantastic with the HD DirecTv programs. I upgraded the box and antenna so I could receive regular channels in HD and am glad I did. The picture without the HD programming is not as good as I would like, but you get used to it.

CA Stu
    My wife went off and bought a Sanyo 42" plasma TV today, model number 42746. Well, its hooked up and everything we are watching looks like it has film over the whole screen. The dish is not plasma yet so neither are any of the inputs, just regular dish thru co-ax. I'm not impressed with the picture. Can anyone find reviews on this or help get the pic a little (or alot) better? It does have HDMI inputs, and a load of rca jacks, but the old 32" was clearer. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? HELP.
    There's an illegal alien that comes with each of those.
    His name is Manual.
    Thanks
    CA Stu

Jyruiz
    If the dish receiver has an S-video out, us that connection instead of the coax, that will improve your picture quality. It won't be HD, but it will be much better. The problem with fix pixel displays is that if you don't feed it a good signal, you won't take advantage of its capabilities.

Waist Deep
    I believe the Magnavox 50" plasma I got is going back to the store. I compare it to the Panasonic 42" and the picture is just not as good as you can see the trail behind people and moving things( whatever its called).
    Running a FTA box with no HD, but it should be clear.
    I believe the Samsung 50's are pretty decent.

voodoomedman
    Now I'm going to ask a silly question here but there's always that possibility I guess. Spending 4 years of my life in tech support makes me have to ask the obvious questions as some people..........................
    You say the picture looks like there is a film over the screen. Well.......Ummmmmmm.......... Is there a film over the screen to protect it during shipping?
    If there is pull it off.

BoatFloating
    Now I'm going to ask a silly question here but there's always that possibility I guess. Spending 4 years of my life in tech support makes me have to ask the obvious questions as some people..........................
    You say the picture looks like there is a film over the screen. Well.......Ummmmmmm.......... Is there a film over the screen to protect it during shipping?
    If there is pull it off.
    Oh come on, you are assuming the consumers are dumb.... "Hello tech support can I help you?" "my t.v. won't turn on. Tech Support: "did you plug it in?" Consumer: uh????? oh ok thank you...

Ned S
    I sell and install Dish and Directv so I get to see them all. Non HD material looks like crap on all plasmas or just about any display because the picture has to be stretched or zoomed to fill the 16 X 9 screen. A good S-Video cable will help if you don't have a HD source.
    Actually most of the 42" plasma ED displays look as good as the HD versions with either source.
    I have yet to see a 50" Plasma that I would put in my home regardless of the price, they all look like crap to me unless you are viewing a good DVD, have poor eyesight, or sitting to far from the screen to notice the missing details.
    Another thing I have noticed is that some of the 3-4 year old displays that people paid big $$ for have some sort of scaler and line doubler built in and the picture quality is much better than what is out there now. It seems to me that as the prices fell that some of these features got left out.
    There are stand alone devices out there that can improve the picture but I have yet to get a customer try one as they cost as much or more than the set they just purchased.

voodoomedman
    Oh come on, you are assuming the consumers are dumb.... "Hello tech support can I help you?" "my t.v. won't turn on. Tech Support: "did you plug it in?" Consumer: uh????? oh ok thank you...
    My favorite is when your trying to get someone to reboot the computer and then after 10 minutes and they keep saying the screen has the same thing as before it turned off you find out that they are simply rebooting the monitor. Boy do I not miss those days. Oh well, stepping stones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast