Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kill Switch?

Fiat48
    How does a double ball switch work with a 12v ignition? With the plastic piece in, there is no conductivity. Does it hook to the dist. side of the coil, then ground it out when the plug is pulled? If you're trying to interupt the voltage supply I fail to see how a double ball deal would work. For a mag yes, standard type ignition, I can't see it............MP
    The switches are different. The mag style double ball....plastic is inserted to keep balls from touching.
    The ignition type is different. the balls don't touch when nothing between them and you use a metal piece for connection.
    Some ball type switches...adjustable to where you can make the balls contact or not...so you can adjust for mag or standard ignition. As mine was.
    Pretty flimsy deals.

steelcomp
    When I switched to the mag I got the Merc. kill switch from Rex.
    BTW- Hey Steel I thought our agreement on a subject should be remembered, Check out my sig.
    LOL...I'm honored.
    My kill switch is one for a PWC. It can be wired normally open, or normally closed. I believe it's just a spring actuated plunger with a couple of contacts. Got it at West Marine or Boater's World, one or the other.

rrrr
    You guys should get a switch like the one on my lawn tractor. When you leave the seat, it kills the motor.
    Sounds perfect for boat racing.

Moneypitt
    The switches are different. The mag style double ball....plastic is inserted to keep balls from touching.
    The ignition type is different. the balls don't touch when nothing between them and you use a metal piece for connection.
    Some ball type switches...adjustable to where you can make the balls contact or not...so you can adjust for mag or standard ignition. As mine was.
    Pretty flimsy deals.
    That explains that............MP

Man69,
    Remember the MSD has a relay built in. It should be wired directly to the battery +,-.
    Then switched 12 volt to the small red wire.

River Rat 005
    I made my kill switch from a 2 pin plug. The one end is wired to the main curcuit. the other end I twisted the wires together to make a complete curcuit. I hook this end to my life jacket. If I get pitched, and I have, it pulls the plug. With the way I have it wired, my switch kills everything.

steelcomp
    I made my kill switch from a 2 pin plug. The one end is wired to the main curcuit. the other end I twisted the wires together to make a complete curcuit. I hook this end to my life jacket. If I get pitched, and I have, it pulls the plug. With the way I have it wired, my switch kills everything.Is that legal where you race??:jawdrop:
    Must be some pretty strong duct tape that holds that plug to the boat. On the side that pulls out...did you wirenut the two wires together with a third piece of whire that attatches to your life jacket?
    Got a picture?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12