Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Webber to sign with the Lakers?

dmontzsta

AirtimeLavey
    He could be decent in the role you said in your first post, but I've not been a big fan. He's been an underachiever for too long. Had a lot of potential, but didn't really deliver on a consistent basis for one reason or another. I wouldn't care either way, although we def. could use the help up front. Hopefully, this recent slump is a short term season cycle. Looking forward to getting LO back.

dmontzsta
    He could be decent in the role you said in your first post, but I've not been a big fan. He's been an underachiever for too long. Had a lot of potential, but didn't really deliver on a consistent basis for one reason or another. I wouldn't care either way, although we def. could use the help up front. Hopefully, this recent slump is a short term season cycle. Looking forward to getting LO back.
    yeah, I agree 100%. It is a no brainer, the Lakers are deep and they would not change their depth at all, they would just be adding another good role player. He can shoot the mid range, be strong around the hoop and his passing and D is good. Something we have been waiting for in Kwame Brown.
    I do miss watching Odom play, there is not another player like him in the league today. Hopefully he can get back into the groove quick! I heard he could be back within 1 week. He is already practicing again and shooting the ball around, basically, they are trying to see if it swells up.

AirtimeLavey
    yeah, I agree 100%. It is a no brainer, the Lakers are deep and they would not change their depth at all, they would just be adding another good role player. He can shoot the mid range, be strong around the hoop and his passing and D is good. Something we have been waiting for in Kwame Brown.
    I do miss watching Odom play, there is not another player like him in the league today. Hopefully he can get back into the groove quick! I heard he could be back within 1 week. He is already practicing again and shooting the ball around, basically, they are trying to see if it swells up.
    True. Then there's the money thing. I wonder if he'd go for what we could offer.

dmontzsta
    True. Then there's the money thing. I wonder if he'd go for what we could offer.
    Well, he has said it is not about the money, which it clearly is not. He is going to have to take the vet minimum wherever he goes. Actually, the Lakers are the second team that can offer him the most money, with Miami being number 1. Most people are saying he would choose LA first, since he would have a starting role immediately, with the injuries the Lakers have right now. Even with Odom back, he would still be starting, since Odom prefers the SF role more. With the Lakers, Webber would make lots of money off endorsements/advertising as well.
    This is what it would look like.
    Brown / Bynum / Turiaf
    Webber / Cook / Turiaf
    Odom / Walton / Radmanovic
    Kobe / Evans / Vujacic
    Smush / Farmar / Williams
    Walton would lose his starting position, most likely. But, he would probably win sixth man of the year with the way he has been playing. The way Phil has been running the show, there is plenty of playing time for everyone, except Williams and McKie. But, McKie would be gone and everyone has said the only reason the Lakers signed Williams and are holding on to him, is because it is KGs cousin and they want that lure.
    One thing that is good about being a great team, is everyone wants to play for you. Remember Payton, Malone, Shaq, Kobe? that was an all star line up there.
    BTW: You do not hear anyone wanting to go to the clippers!

dmontzsta
    EL SEGUNDO--With Chris Webber possibly 36 hours away from joining a new team, Lakers coach Phil Jackson said he spoke with the free-agent forward Saturday night and added, ``I will say that we were both pleased with the conversation.’’
    ``He’s got some decisions to make and I respect that,’’ Jackson said. ``I just asked him how he’s doing, what the nature of his health is and what he’s looking for in a change of teams here.’’
    Webber talked Saturday to both Jackson and Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak. The former five-time All-Star was released Thursday by Philadelphia, which bought out the $43 million left on his contract, and will clear waivers Tuesday.
    The Lakers can offer Webber, who turns 34 on March 1, a contract for the prorated veteran’s minimum ($1.178 million for the full season) and would have to release a player to make room on the 15-man roster.
    They also would have to fit Webber into the rotation once forward Lamar Odom returns from a knee injury later this month. There are no assurances about the role Webber, who has started all but two games in his 14-year career, would play with the Lakers.
    ``That’s some of the things we had to talk about - - his playing ability, the time that he wants and some of the things he would like to have,’’ Jackson said. ``He said really he just wants to feel like he’s a part, feel like he has an important part in a team.
    ``I told him I think that he would if he came here.’’
    Webber’s agent, Aaron Goodwin, didn’t return phone or e-mail messages Sunday. Webber reportedly has narrowed his list of teams to Detroit, the Lakers, Miami and Dallas.
    The Lakers also have to feel comfortable with Webber’s health. Jackson suggested that the condition of Webber’s knees wasn’t as much of a concern as the right foot injury that sidelined him earlier this season.
    Even so, Webber logged more minutes on the floor last season (2,893) than ever before in his career. Jackson said Webber reminded him of that fact in their conversation.
    ``He looks to be moving OK,’’ Jackson added. ``He had a foot problem this year. That’s what we were curious about, obviously. But he says he’s doing really well.’’
    Webber has averaged 11 points, 8.3 rebounds and shot 38.7 percent in 18 games this season. According to the Web site 82games.com, 57 percent of Webber’s shot attempts have been jumpers. His passing skills, though, would fit with the triangle offense.
    Forward Luke Walton was asked if the Lakers would be well served adding a player such as Webber.
    ``We’ve got injuries,’’ Walton said, ``but as soon as we get those guys back and if we can keep growing as a team, I think we have a legitimate shot at doing some damage in the playoffs with the guys we have right now.’’
    A starting line up of:
    Brown
    Webber
    Odom
    Kobe
    Smush
    with a bench of:
    Bynum/Turiaf
    Radman/Cook
    Walton/Radman
    Evans/Vujacic
    Farmar/Williams
    Would be pretty sick. The Lakers would lose nothing and gain Webber. We shall see how it goes, the insiders are saying it is down to the Pistons and Lakers.

BadKachina
    I hope he goes East........
    It's bad enough the Suns can't ever get past the WC Finals, they don't need the Lakers to get better for free.

dmontzsta
    I hope he goes East........
    It's bad enough the Suns can't ever get past the WC Finals, they don't need the Lakers to get better for free.

It is a nail biter right now. If he is smart, he will go with the Lakers. He should look hard at Flip Saunder's breaking down and the players not showing up for practice, there is obviously something about to explode in D town.
    An independent reporter on the Lakers forums says, basically Webber wants to be a part of the team and get playing time. He is looking for settle with a team until retirement. He is accepting the vet minimum and then would like the MLE after the first year. The Lakers could offer this since they would be losing Mihm, Mckie and Grants contracts after this year.
    BTW: The Suns already have to worry about the Lakers, they are better than last year and certainly took the Suns to the edge.:idea:

BadKachina

BTW: The Suns already have to worry about the Lakers, they are better than last year and certainly took the Suns to the edge.:idea:
    They're both better, Stoudemire is healthy and Jalen Rose gives them a deeper bench. Nash is still MVP material.
    I've always liked Webber, I can't believe the Maloof's are letting him walk. I know they had a huge campaign a couple of years ago with billboards asking him not to leave. Maybe they should give him free reign in the Playboy Lounge for a couple of weekends. :idea:

dmontzsta
    They're both better, Stoudemire is healthy and Jalen Rose gives them a deeper bench. Nash is still MVP material.
    I've always liked Webber, I can't believe the Maloof's are letting him walk. I know they had a huge campaign a couple of years ago with billboards asking him not to leave. Maybe they should give him free reign in the Playboy Lounge for a couple of weekends. :idea:
    Wow, you are a little behind my friend.
    Jalen Rose has come out and said he wants his contract bought out by the Suns, he will not be there much longer.
    Webber left the Kings about two years ago, he has been playing for the 76ers and they just bought out his contract and now he is looking for a new team (Lakers or Pistons).
    BTW: Jalen Rose was originally going to sign with the Lakers. Now I bet he wishes he had, especially since he and Webber are friends.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast