Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Snow chains...where can I get a quick set for 35's?

SJP
    Buying the chains might be cheaper than the price of the ticket for not carrying them.
    Its not the price of the ticket - its the brain damage (after being turned around at the checkpoint in a 4wd with 35's) of driving down the mountain to walmart to pick up a set of chains to show at the checkpiont for round 2 while ruining your early start / hitting traffic.
    So I have heard

DILLIGAF
    I bought a pair a few years ago for my truck that had 33s at walmart for like 60 bucks.never used them either but didnt want to get turned around goint to the mtns either(Seems like in so cal when they get a drop of snow you have to carry chains or put them on even if 4x4) That morn drivng up they were required on all vehichles no matter what 5 minutes before i got there no longer needed for 4x4 but still had to show chians and i have been checked evrytime i have gone usually after a snowstorm.
    which reminds me i have to get them back form my cousin i loaned them too that was 3 years ago too
    oh yea i thouhgt it was cheaper to buy chains before trip vs geeting turned around for no chains going and trying to find some locally(which are probably way overpriced)and time wasted or wasted gas just to come back home so 60 bucks you decide(well maybe more in your case)But ask for the senior discount tom.LOL
    I guess they did give me the senior discount. Only paid $79. for them and they are chains. Leaving early in the AM and hope not to use them but of course you should carry them.
    Thanks everybody.............

whiteworks
    Heres a little trick I learned in my travels, take a block of wood with you
    4"x6"x8" lay out the chain on the ground and place the block of wood in the middle of the chain grid, pull the vehicle forward and up on the block of wood. this makes it really easy to get your chains adjusted tight and fast. should take no longer than five minutes.

BOBALOO
    Good thing you picked up the chainsTom. I have been working in Big bear on and off the last few weeks and got turned around at Snow Valley by the CHP. Luckily the tires on my work truck are common and the hardware store had them for only 107$
    2 days later It had snowed overnight and I saw a car spin out in front of me, luckily he went towards the hill and not the CLIFF
    Watch out for ice, and bring patience for the traffic and restaurants up there, they are busy as hell and Slooooooooow as molasses in the service dept.
    Have fun. The lake has lots of ice so unless you have a bardge with an ice breaker you wont be able to post any of those " see what you losers that are stuck working during the week " pictures

4DAY4PLAY
    I guess they did give me the senior discount. Only paid $79. for them and they are chains. Leaving early in the AM and hope not to use them but of course you should carry them.
    Thanks everybody.............
    The trick is if you dont use them....take em back!!!! Have fun in da snow!

DILLIGAF
    Good thing you picked up the chainsTom. I have been working in Big bear on and off the last few weeks and got turned around at Snow Valley by the CHP. Luckily the tires on my work truck are common and the hardware store had them for only 107$
    2 days later It had snowed overnight and I saw a car spin out in front of me, luckily he went towards the hill and not the CLIFF
    Watch out for ice, and bring patience for the traffic and restaurants up there, they are busy as hell and Slooooooooow as molasses in the service dept.
    Have fun. The lake has lots of ice so unless you have a bardge with an ice breaker you wont be able to post any of those " see what you losers that are stuck working during the week " pictures
    Thanks for the advice.
    Laughing at the last part...I am taking the camera

New Login
    I would test fit those things, it is a bitch out on the road.

I didn't know they came in different speeds ("Quick set")...How fast are the ones you got?......

lawbreaker2
    Chains??? I don't even know how to put a set on. I don't think they even sell something like that over here.

John.
    well, you already found them so I'm late in telling you this. but, I picked up chains for 37" tires at Les Schwabb. and they are real chains. not the pu$$y chains that you get at Walmart.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234