Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stand off box

mrs.rvrluvr
    We have a 28ft deck boat 525 merc. Going to put a whipple kit on it soon. What would a stand off box do if anything? What would it do with out a whipple? Is it a waste of money? Who makes a good one? If it does help what will it do?

andy01
    Don't waste your money, it helps some boats a little bit but in a "rerig" (adding a whipple) I wouldn't spend the money. It may give you an extra 2 mph, it that. It really is unneeded. Make sure you do go full hydralic steering though. That will be safer and give you a better over all steering set up.
    Andy

DMOORE
    I was actually thinking of the same question. I just have never seen any before- and-after, performance numbers on this type of project. Did anyone here try it? And if so what are the thoughts.
    Andy, have any of the boats you've owned had them? Just curious if you had gone through a before and after project, and any thoughts if the boat behaved any differently. I have driven boats with, and boats without, but never the same boat with both configurations.
    Presently my 28 Sportcat does not have them, and with the twins ,not sure if it would make a difference or not. It is very stable and well behaved presently even at pretty high speeds. Just trying to get thoughts.
    Darrell.

Havasu1986
    What exactly is a stand off box.?

DMOORE
    It is basically a spacer that is placed between the transom and the drive. Many are approximately 12" deep and move the drives back.
    Darrell.

Jrocket
    If you add a stand off box,theres a good chance your going to need to change your lower unit length.Sometimes a STB will cause a boat to act funny at different speeds,porpoise is usually the most noticable effect.
    I'd run a full hydr steering and call it a day,but then again Id never put a Whipple on a Merc 525 either!

andy01
    I was actually thinking of the same question. I just have never seen any before- and-after, performance numbers on this type of project. Did anyone here try it? And if so what are the thoughts.
    Andy, have any of the boats you've owned had them? Just curious if you had gone through a before and after project, and any thoughts if the boat behaved any differently. I have driven boats with, and boats without, but never the same boat with both configurations.
    Presently my 28 Sportcat does not have them, and with the twins ,not sure if it would make a difference or not. It is very stable and well behaved presently even at pretty high speeds. Just trying to get thoughts.
    Darrell.
    I have never put one on any of my boats. Some boat builders say that some boats work better with them. Unless it is "needed" to fix a handling problem I wouldn't use one. Some say use them, some say no. There are other benefits to the box, like steering can be tied to the box instead of the transom, some say the longer drive line will absorb some of the torque and save the drive. There are a lot of pros and cons.
    Like DMOORE said, it is a spacer on the transom between the drive and transom, it works like a over sided gimble. Gimble is the part that drive bolts and pivots on to steer/turn the drive.
    If you add a stand off box,theres a good chance your going to need to change your lower unit length.Sometimes a STB will cause a boat to act funny at different speeds,porpoise is usually the most noticable effect.
    I'd run a full hydr steering and call it a day,but then again Id never put a Whipple on a Merc 525 either!
    Very well said, it could lead to more problems then it is worth. I to would look into other options then just the 525 whipple deal. The whipple set up is 12K all dialed and ready to go. Fuel upgrades and so on, if it has a bunch of hours and is going to be rebuild at time of whipple then it isn't a bad idea. If it is some what new, it is worth 15K couple that with the 12K and you could have a pretty nice motor with better parts that makes more power, for like money or a little more.
    Who is doing the whipple set up?
    Andy

mrs.rvrluvr
    Thanx fo the info huby was talking to a guy at whipple said he does installs. I told him to call Teague from the magazine he seems to be pretty reputable. Huby has a friend that knows Gary at GT Performance and says to call him he left a message a few days ago but no reply yet. Hubby doing alot of checking around really wants to talk to GT because he was very highly recomended by his friend. It sounds like you don' t suggest the whipple jrocket. Any reason why? We listen to any and all suggestions and appreciate all comments.

andy01
    Thanx fo the info huby was talking to a guy at whipple said he does installs. I told him to call Teague from the magazine he seems to be pretty reputable. Huby has a friend that knows Gary at GT Performance and says to call him he left a message a few days ago but no reply yet. Hubby doing alot of checking around really wants to talk to GT because he was very highly recomended by his friend. It sounds like you don' t suggest the whipple jrocket. Any reason why? We listen to any and all suggestions and appreciate all comments.
    GT performance and Gary (The owner) are great people to do business with, GT is still in the middle of moving into thier brand new shop, so he has been spread pretty thin trying to get ahead. No reason not to call your husband back, but just trying to help out why. I have been more then happy with all of the work Gary has done for me. What is your husbands first name? I'll get on Gary to call him first thing next week.
    Andy

mrs.rvrluvr
    his name is Tim. He is a friend of Terry Mumford.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast