Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stand off box

mrs.rvrluvr
    What about TPI I have read a few good things about him on here? I guess I will try to find his # for huby. Thanx again andy01, hubby hates computers so I am trying to help as much as possible.

mrs.rvrluvr
    andy01 just saw pics of your boat WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW
    nice boat

ToMorrow44
    Just as an FYI, the whipple kits for the 525s aren't too great and there's been quite a few dilemmas with them. And it's not Whipples fault don't get me wrong, they built great kits. The problem is that the 525 kits are the same as the hp500efi kits. But the hp500efi used a distributer whereas the 525 does not so a distributer has to be added. The 525 is just a little more complex than the hp500 was and that's where some problems may come up with all the different electronics. That's not to say that it won't work on your boat or your motor as maybe now they've rectified the situation, but that's just my knowledge.
    -Tom

Jrocket
    Thanx fo the info huby was talking to a guy at whipple said he does installs. I told him to call Teague from the magazine he seems to be pretty reputable. Huby has a friend that knows Gary at GT Performance and says to call him he left a message a few days ago but no reply yet. Hubby doing alot of checking around really wants to talk to GT because he was very highly recomended by his friend. It sounds like you don' t suggest the whipple jrocket. Any reason why? We listen to any and all suggestions and appreciate all comments.
    Might get confusing but try to follow.I think the whipple product is a good choice,but I dont care for Dustin Whipple or the way he handles himself in here when problems arise.I do support Gary Teague but I dont think the Merc 525 is a good whipple motor due to the ECU problems of the past.They might have a fix for them now but I dont know for sure.If the motor is new,low hours,then I might put a whipple on it,but too do it correctly your going to be into it alot more than just bolting on the whipple kit.Either you pay now and have the heads and possibly the cam done or pay later when they need it.Its a crap shoot.Gary is in good with Dustin so he is always up to par with the Whipple stuff.

mrs.rvrluvr
    thanx again guys WE have made a big list of questions to ask Gary.

WET HULL
    What do you guys think on 25' cat with an open bow 650-700hp? I was thinking that with all the weight up front it might help me get the boat to pack some more air by moving some of the weight back. Hopefully I would see performance improvments but who knows.

playdeep
    I currently have a v-bottom with a WPM stand off box...
    Previously owned an identical hull without the box.
    World of difference,
    650(approx.)h.p. on a 25 ft. V and I spin a labbed 32p Bravo,she rolls on plane(2 adults,cooler, full fuel) like a jet boat,I never even touch the tabs to bring it on plane.I've been told the box puts the prop in cleaner water allowing it to bite harder.
    On my application it also raised the X-dimension which helps top end.
    Gary Kincaid told me a while back,that the shaft in the box actually absorbs some of the torque from the motor,which takes some of the pressure off of the drive....
    I purchased the boat w/the Stand off box,so I don't know if it's worth the investment or not,but there is a pretty significant difference,on my paricular platform...

Jrocket
    thanx again guys WE have made a big list of questions to ask Gary.
    Ask him if he's related to Bob Teague,he loves that one.

fkboatman
    19 ft open bow 195 allente campion 385 hp on motor changed from alfa set up to bravo boat ran five miles an hour slower,put land and sea 8 inch extension box in it boat ran 6 miles an hour faster,no difference getting on plane. so for the cost of the kit i bought used it was a wash, basicaly back to same speed as alfa set up

andy01
    I currently have a v-bottom with a WPM stand off box...
    Previously owned an identical hull without the box.
    World of difference,
    650(approx.)h.p. on a 25 ft. V and I spin a labbed 32p Bravo,she rolls on plane(2 adults,cooler, full fuel) like a jet boat,I never even touch the tabs to bring it on plane.I've been told the box puts the prop in cleaner water allowing it to bite harder.
    On my application it also raised the X-dimension which helps top end.
    Gary Kincaid told me a while back,that the shaft in the box actually absorbs some of the torque from the motor,which takes some of the pressure off of the drive
    I purchased the boat w/the Stand off box,so I don't know if it's worth the investment or not,but there is a pretty significant difference,on my paricular platform...
    Was the boat the same year? same exact setup? If not the same year then the comparison doesn't count, the more years builders build a model the more they change set up, sure the box may have helped you but it may have been something else that was working with it to notice the difference. The longer drive line absorbing some of the torque depends on who you talk to.
    Andy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast