Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stand off box

andy01
    What do you guys think on 25' cat with an open bow 650-700hp? I was thinking that with all the weight up front it might help me get the boat to pack some more air by moving some of the weight back. Hopefully I would see performance improvments but who knows.
    If there are no other boats like yours to compare it to then I wouldn't do it. Might open up a can of worms like Jrocket said.

phebus
    If you're just trying to get your boat to run a little drier, a different prop might do that for you. Some props give more bow lift, some more stern lift.

mrs.rvrluvr
    phebus we run a 26 lab finished stainless prop bravo one XR drive single ram stearing (I think he said it was hydrolic asist). 1.5 gears Its a 2006 boat with 85 hours on it.. Huby says it acts like it is very heavy in the front. Hard to get the hull to air out. runs 70 at about 5200 on a hot day (100*) with 4 people and fuel. He says it takes along time to get there though. He has a 24 prop not labed but it hits the rev limiter at about 67. Takes a while to plane the boat with the 26 but he likes the way it runs......I hope i explained it well enough I dont know sht about this stuff and he wont touch a computer Thanx again for the help. Its nice to know we can ask these kind of questions and not get laughed at because we dont know everything in the world about motors.

dumbandyoung
    What do you guys think on 25' cat with an open bow 650-700hp? I was thinking that with all the weight up front it might help me get the boat to pack some more air by moving some of the weight back. Hopefully I would see performance improvments but who knows.
    are you looking to go more power already?

WET HULL
    Yes, I bought the boat with the 496 mag knowing I was going to build the motor up in the off season. It puts up good numbers now, but I am looking to go faster.

andy01
    Why does DCB use them on every F-29 I've seen to date? Are you implying the boat has a handling problem with out them?
    RD
    The F-29 is sold with stock packages a lot, like the 625 setup for example comes with boxes. I think he orders most of his 525 and up Merc. setups with the ITS. There are no handling problems, a lot of customers like them for the extra 2-3 mph or some boats get on plane better with them. A lot of customers request them on thier boats because they like the clean set up with the steering and the look of the box. Lots of reasons for new boats being built to have them. Are they needed to cure a handling problem for the F-29, no.
    Andy

andy01
    Oh.. Ok. So then people use them for other things then obviously curing some handling problem? There is benefits to them then?
    RD
    I see your sarcasim Dave, if you have something to add then add it. I've built three brand new cats and just passing on what I have learned.
    Did I say they had no benefits, just not needed in a lot of cases. I said "they could cure a handling problem" If by giving examples of it's different uses and examples told to me then I am sorry my post wasn't clearer for you. Come on with all of the boats you've tested and done write ups on you should know what a box does.... LOL

Jrocket
    Just so long as you got the sarcasm is all that matters.
    RD
    Maybe if you got a boot to your chest or a pool cue across your lips it might change your sarcasm?

Keith E. Sayre
    One thing that I might add is that obviously every boat is
    different. For the boats with the Talon style bottom that have a lower center sponson and is deeper in the water than the outside sponsons, our experience is that you don't
    benefit from a standoff box unless you put over 750 hp to it. Then after 750 hp or more, you will experience more
    top end speed but you will do so at risk of porpoising and
    the boat won't turn nearly as hard as it did before.
    Also, if you look at most standoff boxes, you'll note that
    they are not rectangular shaped boxes --but are parallelograms. With this in mind, not only can you
    trim the drive up higher with a better angle of thrust for improved top end speed, but you can also still get the drive fairly deep into the water for solid hole shots. kind of like the best of both worlds.
    Keith Sayre
    Conquest Boats

dumbandyoung
    One thing that I might add is that obviously every boat is
    different. For the boats with the Talon style bottom that have a lower center sponson and is deeper in the water than the outside sponsons, our experience is that you don't
    benefit from a standoff box unless you put over 750 hp to it. Then after 750 hp or more, you will experience more
    top end speed but you will do so at risk of porpoising and
    the boat won't turn nearly as hard as it did before.
    Also, if you look at most standoff boxes, you'll note that
    they are not rectangular shaped boxes --but are parallelograms. With this in mind, not only can you
    trim the drive up higher with a better angle of thrust for improved top end speed, but you can also still get the drive fairly deep into the water for solid hole shots. kind of like the best of both worlds.
    Keith Sayre
    Conquest Boats
    okay, well there is a 30' daytona in spam with boxes. has 2 496hos.. not anywhere near 750hp. why would eliminator put them on it then. what purpose would that serve it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast