Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ziggy: Your Take on Audi:

Trailer Park Casanova
    When ever we take the s2000 to 'Vegas, seems an Audi wants to take us on on the I 15.
    I think they get a surprised when we kick in the v-tec and the Honda leaps ahead.
    The Audis seem pretty cool, but don't know much about them.
    I think most people don't either.
    Aren't they all aluminum or close to it?
    Did they used to be called DKW Auto Union? (remembering back to reading Road & Track as a kid).
    Are any VW's Audi clones?
    Would another name change help the company?
    They had some bad plubicity and we were wondering if they ever recovered or is it still hauntin them.

BADAXE
    You have to be carefull which Audi you race with because as great as your Honda is they make a few models that will dust the S2000.
    Most people have forgotten about the old Audi 5000 problem. The 5000 was actually a very good car but got a bad rap from the whole "unintended acceleration" problem which was really a "mistaken peddle" problem. It caused them a huge problem and almost caused them to leave the U.S.
    They make a very good car but probably have a few more quality issues than BMW or Mercedes Benz.

Ziggy
    From what I've learned about them they are very good cars, but kinda like my SAAB brand they haven't been able to really crack into the big Euro brands sales momentum.
    I'm not fully aware of their construction materials, but aluminum is becoming more prevelent in all the cars.
    DKW I'm not sure about..My parents use that accronym and call it Duetsche Kinder Wagon...German kids car, more or less.
    But I am aware, because my dad considered carrying it long ago, a brand call NSU, which was Audi predesessor.
    If not mistaken VW, Porsche and Audi are all related to some degree, shared parts and/or engineering somewhere along the line.
    The Audi dealers I've talked with feel there is little or no effect from the bad publicity they had gotten in the early to mid 80's...

COELIMINATOR
    If it says RS6 on the back, you will have your hands full.
    Sam

Kahuna
    The Audi S4 that I just got a few months ago is the best car that I have ever had and have had a few fast cars. Four doors and a trunk with AWD V8 is a killer combo. The car just sticks in the dry and wet weather. The best part is most people don't know what it is and how quick it is.

Trailer Park Casanova
    According to BoatCop, a Speed Contest is worse than a DUI.
    Ain't a Audi on the road that will take the s2000 on a road course.
    I don't care how big the Aluminum head nitemare motor is.

OCMerrill
    You have to be carefull which Audi you race with because as great as your Honda is they make a few models that will dust the S2000.
    Most people have forgotten about the old Audi 5000 problem. The 5000 was actually a very good car but got a bad rap from the whole "unintended acceleration" problem which was really a "mistaken peddle" problem. It caused them a huge problem and almost caused them to leave the U.S.
    They make a very good car but probably have a few more quality issues than BMW or Mercedes Benz.
    I learned how to drive in one of those cars. 5000 Turbo. Funny to read as now I am 40 years old. Time goes by. That car drove my parents nuts with repairs. My dad used to say when it runs it's great! That was also an OPEN END LEASE (remember those) and they had to pay $$$ just to turn it in. It was the eairly 80's man.
    Seems times have changed.
    I have a freind that has a silver S4 and that is a sweet little car. He beats the crap out of it daily and no issues to date in over like 1 1/2 years.
    What I like about Audi is you don't see them on every corner. You don't see S2000's on every corner either but the Honda brand is everywhere. Something a little differen't.

ratso
    http://www.audiworld.com/news/01/tt_s2000/content.shtml
    ...like comparing apples to oranges, dragsters to Nascar, DA to Rosie :jawdrop: (well, not quite that far off)

ChumpChange
    A few weeks back, just before Christmas, I had a S2000 jockey me for position as we both headed south on the 57. He clearly wanted to race but being in the interchange of the 60, there was no place to push the pedal and I'm not one for weavin in and out of lanes at high speeds.
    I played along til traffice ceased in the brea canyon. He dropped his foot first with me a second behind. It always seems to be Hondas that want to race. Like they have something to prove against a car that is superior. If they knew cars, they would know this. It was less than a few second before I took him and left him well behind. Like any good street racer, pulled in front of him, hit the hazards and went on my way.

Kahuna
    That statement is not true at all, let me roll up in a RS4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast