Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox Info Req'd

Kiwi Legend Jetter
    I'm looking for more information about the Casale v-drive gearbox. Does anyone know a website that has specs (dimensions and wieghts).
    Can the drive configuration be changed so that i have input on the front of the box, and output on the back as per normal v-drive. (i want the engine in front of the gearbox set above, driving through to a jet pump below) Does this make sense?
    Or is there more chance of a pig_flyi

Thanks

126driver
    A v-drive in a jetboat? jawdrop The missing link?

Jordy
    I can see what your saying about running a box in between your motor and pump, but seeing how much drop is built into a v-drive box (8" or so???), you are going to have to set the motor up to compensate for the height differential between the input and output shaft heights so that the output shaft would line back up and couple with the shaft on your pump, not to mention moving the motor forward to allow room for the gear box. This is without taking the angle that is in the box to allow the propshaft to run without binding up. That is just off the top of my head. I'm not saying it isn't possible.
    What are you trying to accomplish with this is probably the first question that should be asked.

Infomaniac
    RPM's to the moon is what that is for.

Sangster
    I think a Tranny is what you would need...but it moves your Motor to far forward....

Here is a pic of a Casale box used in the PropDuster(post blow-over ). Apparently there are 4 gears in the box allowing powerflow to go in at bottom front, up and then back and back down to bottom rear. Hope that made sense.

Jet Boat Brian possesses a Casale(?) box that has parallel shafts. I think he said it could be set up as KiwiLegendJetter needs with input in at top front and output at bottom rear.

There is also an Owens gearbox that has been used. It fits in-line between engine and pump. KZ's RiskyBusiness used one. Like Sangster said, any of the choices would require moving the engine forward.

BigBoyToys
    OLDSQUIRT:
    Like Sangster said, any of the choices would require moving the engine forward. Not necessarily. Depending on the hull and current configuration of the motor/pump/hull, it may work with a shorter driveline. If you look at the Prop Duster pics, I don't believe that he had to move the engine forward. I believe that if I chose to go this way in the CP, my engine is already forward enough and I would just have to change the driveshaft length. I think what Sangster was referring to is a transmission...
    [ January 06, 2003, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

superdave013
    OLDSQUIRT:
    Here is a pic of a Casale box used in the PropDuster(post blow-over ). Apparently there are 4 gears in the box allowing powerflow to go in at bottom front, up and then back and back down to bottom rear. Hope that made sense.

Jet Boat Brian possesses a Casale(?) box that has parallel shafts. I think he said it could be set up as KiwiLegendJetter needs with input in at top front and output at bottom rear.

There is also an Owens gearbox that has been used. It fits in-line between engine and pump. KZ's RiskyBusiness used one. Like Sangster said, any of the choices would require moving the engine forward. Nice cut away photo there. That was a bummer. I was there the day before. Kinda glad I didn't see it go over.
    Anyway Jet Boat brians is the same as that one. The top shaft can be fliped around not problem from what I'm told. His was set up that was because it was in a Wheelstander car.
    Those are called z-drives really. You see them in the old hydros too. The 4 gears is so it does not reverse the rotation like the 2 gear ones do.

I guess I should have said "probably" I'm betting Kiwi is running a little aluminum river boat which would likely have the engine pretty far back already...
    I am curious to know what his goals are. Is he looking for a gearbox for the purpose of running pump at a different speed than engine, or just being able to raise the engine and still be running 1:1. Kiwi?

BigBoyToys
    It's all about RPM's. The Casale box let's ya run higher RPM's to the pump. Usually, most HP is found in the upper RPM ranges.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast