Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prop size question

superdave013
    126driver:
    Lumpy,
    Pull the gears and check everything out. That way you'll know for sure what's going on with the box. Click on the banner above and email Tom at Menkens. He'll hook you up with a prop. Probably 11.5 x 15 or something like that.Ditto, Tom at Menkens is the guy to talk and the best source of parts for your v-drive. He even sells my bearing puller so you might as well get it through him (same price even).
    His props are not cheep but who's prop is these days. If you buy a new prop from him, he will make sure you get the right prop on your boat. Just ask Snowboat how Tom helped him with props.
    If I'm guessing I bet a 15% gear and something in the 11.5X15 pitch range.

Ian
    On my old flatty my prop nut came loose, but that was because the lock nut I was using was worn out, just replace your old nut with a new stainless steel lock nut and a new cotter pin. You really need to pull your v-drive apart to find out what gears you have, it's really easy to get apart, just make sure you have the proper amount of gaskets when you put it back together. As for the prop, it souds like the prop you have now is off a ski boat. A good steel three blade might be what you want, for a mild flatty they perform great. If all out speed is what you want I would go with a two blade 11x16 menkins. You can usually get a nice prop used for between 200-300 bucks, just make sure to have a prop shop check it out before you run it. When props come apart at wide open you would be lucky to stay dry, plus they usually ruin the bottom of the boat. Well now I am rambling so if you have any questions feel free to email me, I don't know much but I am more than happy to lend any knowledge I have

V-Drive Tom
    Lumpy, You want an 11-3/8 or 11-1/2 x 16.(not 11 inch dia.) That boat of yours is large and heavy, you need the DIA. to get it moving. You will be slippin with 11. You want a 2 blade not 3,because you already established that your not so interested in skiing. (just hot roddin) ANY prop you get for 200or300,SHOULD be checked for cracks and reshaped and balanced. $120.00. The 11 1/2x16 older Stellings props are not a bad runner for the money. TOM..

Ian
    Hey lumpy if this v-drive Tom is the guy I think he is take his advise, he knows his stuff. I only speak from my own experiences, I like the 11in. prop because I can burn it and get the motor up into its powerband, but we're running a Cole runner bottom with a Norm Grimes power plant, so my own experience may not relate well to yours. You should try and find some v-drive guys close to you that will let you borrow some different props. Anyways take v-drive Tom's advice he seems to know a lot more than me

Sangster
    058:
    Yeah... that "prop nut" thread reads like War and Peace. Everything you wanted to know, thought you knew and some things you didn't need to know are covered in that thread. 058...Don't bring the "prop nut" thread back....It would be better if we discussed the difference between Blue & Red Loctite...If ya know what I mean... eek! eek!

Sangster
    P.S. Listen to TOM........

126driver
    Now let's see: The blue Locktite is for nuts that get removed all of the time, right? I keep getting that mixed up. And what is up with that Locktite primer? What the hell is that for?

Sangster
    126 DRIVER, Now you've oened up a big ole' Can of worms......

126driver
    Sangster:
    126 DRIVER, Now you've oened up a big ole' Can of worms...... wink

jechols
    Blue loctite not necessarily for removing 'all the time' but is easier than removing anything with the red loctite. Just put the blue loctite on it that will be fine it won't go any where. As far as 'loctite primer' W.T.F. your not painting a car, don't need it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12