Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Project Hawaiian Part II

DelawareDave
    One things for sure...when you finish that "project" I'm gonna have one hell of a drink! :rollside:
    I'm right there with ya on that!

DelawareDave
    Dave i know how u feel.U are not leaving anything untouched looks great
    I anticipate turning the hull over a couple times, too. I got some work to do to repair the crack that was in the transom, then straighten the bottom out, if needed. Then I have to put the intake in, and do whatever is required to the bottom after that!

DelawareDave
    I made a little more progress today. Got the deck cleaned up and set onto the hull. I'm going to get it taped into place, and hopefully glassed in on the inside.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...3062Deck12.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...3062Deck14.JPG

77 Hawaiian
    I may have missed it earlier in the thread but where do you buy all your fiberglass supplies from?
    Though my project won't be nearly as intensive as yours i'll be needing some supplies soon. The plywood on my transom is total trash, 1 stringer (I think it's a stringer) has an end rotted on it, and a small area of the floor right in front of the engine is "springy". All of them are simple fixes I hope.
    Also, what did you use to remove the old stringers? Can I cut the glass right above where it meets the hull then grind the excess off?
    The plywood on my transom isn't covered in anything but bilge paint. No glass, no resin, nothing. No wonder it rotted out. Since I have nothing to work with I guess I can make a template out of cardboard before I cut out the plywood.

DelawareDave
    I may have missed it earlier in the thread but where do you buy all your fiberglass supplies from?
    Though my project won't be nearly as intensive as yours i'll be needing some supplies soon. The plywood on my transom is total trash, 1 stringer (I think it's a stringer) has an end rotted on it, and a small area of the floor right in front of the engine is "springy". All of them are simple fixes I hope.
    Also, what did you use to remove the old stringers? Can I cut the glass right above where it meets the hull then grind the excess off?
    The plywood on my transom isn't covered in anything but bilge paint. No glass, no resin, nothing. No wonder it rotted out. Since I have nothing to work with I guess I can make a template out of cardboard before I cut out the plywood.
    I got some of my fiberglass on good old eBay. Just know what you want. I didn't buy any of those "bundles" that some sellers have. They are a bunch of scraps that may work for you, or they may be a total waste. I also got glass, resin, and some rollers from Eastern Marine, as they are local to me, so no shipping, waiting, etc. I also decided to "economize" a tad. The foam rollers (7"x1 1/4) from all the boat stores around here, are like $9 for the handle, and $2.50-$3.50 for the covers. Home Depot sells a 7" roller handle for $1.49, and smooth roller cover, $11.99 for 12 pieces. Much better, in my book, and they work just fine, and easier to clean.
    I cut the old stringers on the inside, just above the bottom, then split the top (glass), and removed the wood. Measure between the wood of the stringers, and keep notes, so you can put them back where they were.
    My transom had a layer of glass, maybe 6 or 8 oz cloth, and 3 or 4 oz mat reinforcement around the edges. It looked like it was "mushed" right into the hull laminate while it was wet, then clamped into place till it set up. The bottom, under the wood, was so thin, I could see daylight thru the hull. Mine was cracked across the back 3/4 of the way around. I added a double layer of 39 oz triaxial cloth on the bottom about 6" from the back, before I set the wood in place. I will do the final repair and finish work when I turn the hull over.
    I made a template for the transom from cardboard as well, but made it on the outside of the hull. Much easier tha way. Just trim it about 1/4", sides and bottom when you cut the wood. This will leave you material to fit it inside.

snake321
    did you have the shovel plated yet?

DelawareDave
    did you have the shovel plated yet?
    I have to get it polished first!

snake321
    install a nice bracket under the deck to hold it. People that never saw the pictures will think you're nuts...

all i can say is you must really love this boat. man thats alot of work. looks great though.

DelawareDave
    all i can say is you must really love this boat. man thats alot of work. looks great though.
    I wouldn't go that far, but it's right up there, lol ! The beginning was when I accidently put my knee thru the floor. Then I noticed the deck didn't look quite right. It had a hump, where it should have been flat. Another place had a low spot, where it should have had a curve. It was one of those deals, where everywhere you looked, there was something else that needed work, so...... it just snowballed from there.