Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volvo SX Drive and 450HP?

241Libby
    Anyone know if a Volvo SX drive 1.51:1 will stand up to 450 hp and say 500lbs torque? Okay, I did some research on the web and while there are a few conservatives in the 350hp range, the majority believe the SX drive can handle 500hp and 500 lbs torque + without issue. As good or better than the Bravo drive.

RODE'S WAY BOATS
    Not a problem. That drive is about the same drive as the OMC King Cobra which will more than handle 500HP.

241Libby
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! I replaced my 89 OMC Cobra drive with the SX last year (essentially direct bolt on) with addit. of sea pump. I was pushing around 375-400hp and this spring plan on replacing the stock 460 heads with aluminum and adding lightening headers which should get me in the 450hp+ range.

RODE'S WAY BOATS
    Sweet good luck with your project.

Bryan Rose
    Anyone know if a Volvo SX drive 1.51:1 will stand up to 450 hp and say 500lbs torque? Okay, I did some research on the web and while there are a few conservatives in the 350hp range, the majority believe the SX drive can handle 500hp and 500 lbs torque + without issue. As good or better than the Bravo drive.
    Good luck breaking it....Better than a Bravo.....Volvo over engineered that drive...It is tough!
    Bryan

CB-BLR
    I have a Volvo SX behind a 427 SBC that was dynoed at 531 hp @ 6100 rpm. Two seasons so far without any problems with the drive. Boat does 83 mph on GPS, but I mostly use it for towing around the kids on innertubes. The occasional cruise around the the lake to find someone to race is fun. Great drive so far. Faster than the OMC oudrive which was behind it before. Part of that might be the additional 3 inch setback that the Volvo drive produces when swapping from the OMC, thereby producing less wetted surface on the hull. I dunno.........I just like it!

Tahiti350
    Will the Vovlo SX drive interchange with the old OMC 800 style drive, or just the newer Cobra stuff? I'm looking at possibilities for when I finally kill the 800

CB-BLR
    It is my understanding that it only trades with the Cobra stuff. Volvo wanted to be able to retrofit after buying OMC and the rights to its outdrive.
    Chris

Tahiti350
    That's what I figured, so I'd have to fillthe current hole and then cut for the Cobra/Volvo install, pluss all the associated hardware... Might be easier to just install a ditch pump....

CB-BLR
    Tahiti350,
    If you want to go for a spin sometime when things warm up.........I live in Bothell.
    Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast