Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Volvo SX Drive and 450HP?

Tahiti350
    You should check out www.skagenboats.com and go to there forums, we ahve a bunch of crazies in the great NW...

CB-BLR
    Gary,
    You have a nice looking boat. Looks light, and should be fast.
    What prop and RPM are you running?
    Chris

Tahiti350
    Currently running 14.5 x 21+ SS (labbed?) turning 4600-4800, with old vavle springs and a mostly stock long block. Adding alloy heads and Bessett's this year looking for 5200-5400, also have a 14.25 x 23 aluminum to try if the RPM's come up..
    If you go to Laidback boaters, and find the Readers Rides page on the home page I have a file there with more pic's of it.

PT PERF
    You should be perfectly fine with 500+ hp if you de-burr the gears and blueprint the complete drive and install a new cone clutch and hand lap it in but do not fly the boat what type of boat is this?

CB-BLR
    your boat is light....... and would probably be faster with a smaller diameter prop. The big boys spin 14.5 - 15.5 inch props, but us small block guys with light boats are faster in the 13.5 - 14.0 inch props. By going to a Laser II in a 13.75 x 21 or 22, you would probably be around 5000 rpm and pick up at least 3 mph. In the Laser II props, the odd numbers are large hubs, and the even numbers are small hubs. The small hub props are 13.5 inches in diameter, and are even easier to turn. -- I spin a 13.5 x 26 Laser II that has been labbed and bent to a 27.
    I can turn a Laser II 13.75x25 almost 1000 more rpm than a 14.6 x 25 Mirage+ and go about 12 mph faster with the Laser II.

wannabe
    So am I understanding that I can swap an SX for my '91 King Cobra when it takes a $hit? Oh and thanks for the Skagen link Tahiti...I live just up the hill from them...didn't even know they still did boat stuff!!!

CB-BLR
    Yup......... Volvo makes the swap pieces. For about $600.00 and nothing more mechanical than unbolting your outdive........you can bolt on a Volvo SX or duo-prop outdrive. Internal mods include a waterpump that bolts onto the front of the crank (comes with kit) (Volvo outdrives don't have water pumps in them), removal of the shift interupt switches (wiring around them), and possibly a 1ft longer shift cable (I didn't need one).
    Volvo SX outdrive is same depth as Cobra or King Cobra, but sits aprox. 3 inches further rearward. Shifting is silky smooth. I found a used SX drive for about 2K and had a competent outdrive shop go through it. I use a merc adapter and spin all square bore props on it. -- Great outdrive!

Ricardo Marine
    Gents, this thread was linked via a thread in a forum that I participte in.
    I couldn't help but join as to post a few comments to maybe help understand something.
    Much of this is/was not publicized upon or during the involvement between the two companies.
    Volvo Penta did want the rights to certain OMC featuers only. Remember, OMC was a company that was severely failing... and failing due to poor design and quality.
    Volvo Penta wanted the company to use the patent for a Gimbal type transom unit and external Trim/Tilt cylinders similar to M/C's. OMC by some chance, and in conjunction with people from Volvo Penta, did come out with a half way decent Gimbal Housing and Gimbal ring/bell, etc in the late 80's. Little too late for the company and with so many failures of the past, bankruptcy was eminent.
    M/C bought the rights to use V/P's patented Cone Clutch shifting during/around the same time. (Who knows what actually took place, but both came out with what they needed....) M/C w/ the cone clutch so the Bravo Drive could be built (reverse rotating vertical shaft) and V/P with the Silly Gimbal style transom unit so the market share could be grabbed in competition w/ Brunswick owning and installing M/C's in all of their boats! (same cut out size now... one cut/both drives fit). I love the old style AQ systems much better.... but that is another story.
    I just wanted to clarify what/why Volvo Penta bought this sinking company. I do not believe that V/P used or wanted any thing internal from OMC, although many have had great luck with them.

LCexplorer
    Volvo Penta did want the rights to certain OMC featuers only. Remember, OMC was a company that was severely failing... and failing due to poor design and quality.
    Volvo Penta wanted the company to use the patent for a Gimbal type transom unit and external Trim/Tilt cylinders similar to M/C's. OMC by some chance, and in conjunction with people from Volvo Penta, did come out with a half way decent Gimbal Housing and Gimbal ring/bell, etc in the late 80's. Little too late for the company and with so many failures of the past, bankruptcy was eminent.
    M/C bought the rights to use V/P's patented Cone Clutch shifting during/around the same time. (Who knows what actually took place, but both came out with what they needed....) M/C w/ the cone clutch so the Bravo Drive could be built (reverse rotating vertical shaft) and V/P with the Silly Gimbal style transom unit so the market share could be grabbed in competition w/ Brunswick
    I spot a few inaccuracies with the above, as Merc didn't buy the patent for the cone clutch but waited for the patent agreement with Wynne and Volvo over the cone clutch to run out in 1985. Hence the arrival of the Mercruiser Bravo I for the 1987 model year.
    The OMC Cobra/SX was born over a joint venture between Volvo and OMC in 1993 to pool resources and catch larger market share which may have started with Volvo Penta leasing wharehouse space from OMC (not sure but I have heard it from a few OMC/Volvo techs). Not until OMC (with there troublesome and often warrantied Ficht OB) ran into financial difficulty in the late 90's ('98 to be exact) did Volvo buy OMC and subsequently took full control of the joint venture and rebrand the drive as a SX.
    I don't think Mercruiser and Volvo Penta have ever worked to together or entered agreements to share patents considering thre amount of lawsuits between them, including the Bravo III/Duoprop one and several antirust ones.
    I guess this would be another one of those don't believe everything you read on the internet things!

Ricardo Marine
    My information may not be 100% accurate but comes from having been in and around the buisness for some years now. I would kindly offer you the same advice here: Quoting you: "I guess this would be another one of those don't believe everything you read on the internet things!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast