Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BoatCop: Radar Detectors; Obstruction of Justice?

Boatcop
    In some States use of radar detectors are illegal. Arizona isn't one of them.
    I can't see how "Obstruction of Justice" charges would apply. Even if it was attempted they would have to prove (beyond a reasonable doubt) that the device was working, turned on, and actually interfered with Government Operations.
    The States that outlaw radar detectors make simple possession of one in a vehicle illegal.
    One note. They are illegal to use in ALL states in Commercial Vehicles. (Federal Law) Commercial Vehicles, in this instance, being OTR trucks, subject to Federal and State regulations for service hours, log books, weight restrictions, etc.

Trailer Park Casanova
    In some States use of radar detectors are illegal. Arizona isn't one of them.
    I can't see how "Obstruction of Justice" charges would apply .
    One sea lawyer says "Intent".
    What's your take?

Ziggy
    I just do it the old fashioned way........use my wits and common sense, and don't drive so fast that you become the target of LEO's.
    Oh, and I watch for airplanes too

Trailer Park Casanova
    You must have super willpower Zig.
    If I was in your V12 Bimmer,, don't think I could resist.

Ziggy
    You must have super willpower Zig.
    If I was in your V12 Bimmer,, don't think I could resist.
    Its a learned trait after a few tense moments. I surprise myself.
    Not saying I don't jump on it now and then but I use a lot of caution when I do. I do it for my pleasure and not to impress others so generally nobody is around to see it. Including, hopefully, the LEO.

Dusty Times
    I would love to have mine in the mirror.
    Is it an aftermarket dill that is not made by V1?

Boatcop
    One sea lawyer says "Intent".
    What's your take?
    I can't see even where "intent" would violate the law. Now it's possible, I suppose, for a radar "jammer" which interupts the radar signal, (rather than a "detector" which merely receives it) might be construed as "interfering with police operations". But I've never heard of anything like this.
    I did a quick search on the internet and found a few threads. But most of them were coming from "Tom Brown Land" in the Great White North.

riverracerx
    I am an idiot, but are they illegal in Cali? I have never owned or operated one but everyone I know who goes to Mammoth says they are a must?

Boatcop
    I found this on Radar/jammer legality.
    The use of a radar detector in a passenger vehicle is legal in all states with the exception of Virginia, Washington DC. and on military bases.
    Radar detectors are illegal in all commercial vehicles weighing over 10,000 pounds
    In Canada, the only three provinces that allow their use are Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.
    Many overseas countries also ban their use, such as Portugal, Finland and Spain.
    In areas that radar detectors are illegal, law enforcement use a device called the Spectre that is able to detect the use of radar detector in your car or truck. For more information on the Spectre, click here.
    Laser Jammers and Radar Jammers are illegal in the states of Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC.

Jordy
    From every test I've seen conducted, the jammers don't work anyway. Maybe Mythbusters should give it a try.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast