Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New wiring harness needed

apollo18
    I'm looking for a new wiring harness for my 18" Apollo project. Could anyone tell
    me where i could find one? Thank for your help ...

Nucking futs
    L&L marine in corona
    www.llmarine.com

I was amazed at how much they're getting for a basic wiring harness these days.
    When I redo mine, I'll build it myself. For a basic harness it's what.....seven wires, some tape, connectors, and tiewraps?:jawdrop: Chuck the bundle up in your drill and spin it up, tape, tiewraps etc. and viola new wire harness for a fraction of the cost.
    I'm not going to pay $350+ for something I can make myself for 1/3 the cost.:idea:
    The new harness I saw a month ago (for big money incidently) wasn't even marinized wire etc. Just regular old insulated copper wire and crimp on connectors.
    Update...........
    Just checked L&L it's $234.74 for the boat side. If memory serves, the engine side (if you're looking to replace both parts)........is around $150.
    That's close to $400 bucks for the whole deal.
    L&L (although a marine company) doesn't stipulate as to whether or not the wire is marinized in the ad.
    http://www.llmarine.com/product.htm?pid=451195
    Just to clarify. I'm not knocking L&L. From what I can tell, there's been a huge jump in price by all the companies that make wire harnesses.

YeLLowBoaT
    Dana has them for I think 200ish.
    Still seems kind of high... then again copper prices are going nuts right now.
    I've been kicking myself for all the times I've thrown small piece of copper pipe and cliped ends of romex...

67weimann
    When I gutted my boat, I trashed the old wires and built my own. I can't remember what it cost me b/c I wasn't too worried about cost at the time. Definately cheaper than buying an "off the shelf" one.
    It reallly isn't that hard. As with anything you do, just takes a little planning...

GunninGopher
    I've done a couple of boats and just finished up the dune buggy.
    It is really easy, it just takes time. I get a lot of satisfaction out of it because I know the job is done right.
    Solder each connection and use shrink wrap and you'll never have to worry about the connection again. One thing that is tough is to find the different color of wires, like purple and grey.

If you are going to build your own harness, consider checking out Ancor Products (http://ancorproducts.com/Products/Home.html). Their products are available through West Marine. (and they have purple and gray )

killerbeez
    www.cpperformance.com has the hardin wire harnes for 199.99

CP Dad
    I've got one that's brand new from L&L for a 21 foot jet. Might be a bit long but you could easily hide some of the lenght. Complete boat side from dash back including engine plug (Merc type). I'll sell it for $125 if anyone needs one.

victorfb
    if you do assemble it yourself, please try and keep to the color codes. not only will it help you way down the road, it will help the next owner of the boat. one good thing about making your own is that you can go with larger guage wire were you feel the need. just make sure you use a good quality gas and oil resistant wire. the looms from L&L or REX marine, CP performance, ect, are pretty easy to use and are all color coded correct. plus they have the added option of the buss bar with 30 amp breaker. allways a good idea in a closed hatch bidge. or any bildge for that matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast