Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '22 Schiada 502 HP what prop

Schiada Time
    I am trying to figure out what prop to run and according to Lee with my HP (502) and gear combo C-500 with 1.04 ratio he is telling me I need a 12X15 3-blade. My boat has a 10-degree strut and a 1-inch prop shaft. The first test run I went out with a tiny 10-7/8 and she cavitated like crazy as to be expected coming up on plane. My only concern is with clearance. I measured 1.5-inch between the current prop 10-7/8 and the bottom of the boat. I have been told no less than .25 for clearance between the boat and the prop. what does everyone think. I am on the hunt for a decent used 3-blade as I am trying to prevent spending damn near 1K at Meknens I found an 11.5X15 SS Menkens 3-blade on here for sale and want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Should I look for a 12x15?
    Schiada Time

Schiada Time
    Any jhelp or advice would be appreciated.
    thanks

mt.man
    IMHO That's a small gear. You might try to find a used set of gears or a complete used C-500. It might be a better place to start.
    Good luck with a great boat.

Schiada Time
    Need to get a prop on it for now. Heading to the lake in about a month and a half.

Maxey
    I am trying to figure out what prop to run and according to Lee with my HP (502) and gear combo C-500 with 1.04 ratio he is telling me I need a 12X15 3-blade. My boat has a 10-degree strut and a 1-inch prop shaft. The first test run I went out with a tiny 10-7/8 and she cavitated like crazy as to be expected coming up on plane. My only concern is with clearance. I measured 1.5-inch between the current prop 10-7/8 and the bottom of the boat. I have been told no less than .25 for clearance between the boat and the prop. what does everyone think. I am on the hunt for a decent used 3-blade as I am trying to prevent spending damn near 1K at Meknens I found an 11.5X15 SS Menkens 3-blade on here for sale and want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Should I look for a 12x15?
    Schiada Time
    I went through the same situation trying to find a suitable prop. I have a 20' Sanger mini cruiser with a Gen V 502 that is equipped with a 3.3 Whipple. I have 29% in the gear box.
    I started with a 12x16 and it lifted the transom so bad it was scary. At speed it would not steer period. I trimmed it down gradually and ended up with 11 1/2 x 15. It is a Menkins 3 blade and it works great. I realize each boat is different (engine,hull, gears, etc.) but I think you will find 11 1/2 to be in the ball park for diameter. Good luck.

Sangster
    Call Joe Shelfo @ PrecisionCraft Marine... Ph# (707) 854-0332

Obsessive Compulsive
    I have a 11.5 X 16 3-blade Steelings. It was a 15 pitch, then I hade Herrald Kenswater re pitch it for me.

Schiada Time
    Obsessive- Is this a prop you want to sell or is this just what you are running on your boat? after getting a little more feedback it sounds like the 11.5x15 that I found is going to be a good starting point. If I run it and it turns out to be the wrong prop I can always re sell it.
    Schiada time

Obsessive Compulsive
    I want to sell it,I don't think with your HP you will have any issue pushing a 16 pitch prop with 4 percent gears, and transome lift shoul'nt be a problem also. I am asking $350 it is steel and for a 1" shaft.

Schiada Time
    Please e-mail pics to travis.noack@apg-media.com. I would like to see what condition it is in. Is it stainless? Where is Livermore?
    Thanks
    schiada Time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast