Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gasket Matching????

DansBlown73Nordic
    I been working on porting these heads. I stuck a exhaust gasket up to the exhaust ports. eek! I think I need a bridgeport to cut out all that iron. How should I go about it????

Thunderbutt
    Dans66Stevens:
    I been working on porting these heads. I stuck a exhaust gasket up to the exhaust ports. eek! I think I need a bridgeport to cut out all that iron. How should I go about it???? How does the gasket match to the headers? Are you sure you have the right gasket?

DansBlown73Nordic
    I have a set of Big Block felpro gaskets. They fit my Bassett headers perfect. I could remove about 1/8 on three sides.

wsm9808
    There are alot of different opinions on this, but if the port is smaller than the headers, some porters will recommend leaving them that way. The mismatch has an anti-reversion effect. And if you have the D port exhaust, you should not grind the port floor round to match the header. The heads are disigned with the D port because they flow better that way compaired to the old style chevy 0 ports.

DansBlown73Nordic
    These are the round ports. Im going to just leave them alone.They have to be better then when I started.

Thunderbutt
    Dan, Did you ever get those CMI headers to work?

Hotcrusader76
    wsm9808:
    There are alot of different opinions on this, but if the port is smaller than the headers, some porters will recommend leaving them that way. The mismatch has an anti-reversion effect. And if you have the D port exhaust, you should not grind the port floor round to match the header. The heads are disigned with the D port because they flow better that way compaired to the old style chevy 0 ports. I agree with that observation. Many credible sources for porting/polishing say that if the exhaust port is smaller than the header to leave it alone. The same goes for a smaller intake manifold port into a larger cylinder head intake port.
    But this has had my curiousity peaked lately with my BBC motor. Someone installed a Rect.port tunnel ram on a large oval port head (049). To me it would seem that there is a great disturbance of air-flow when the mixture rushes past the intake/head matteing area. Hmmmm... This is probably why I am ditching that intake for correct version. Many people have performed this Rect.port intake/oval port head match, but I don't necessarily buy the idea.
    Any one have some credible input to this?
    ~Ty

DansBlown73Nordic
    HotCrusader, its funny you mentioned this. I have a friend who posts here on the boards all the time. He has a Hydro with a 468 BBC. He runs a oval port head with square port tunnel ram. The boat runs over 100 mph.
    He has a old Hot Rod magazine with a dyno test that found 20 ponies from this combo.
    I agree it seams kinda strange. It goes against all things I have ever heard. But Im going to try it on my 427.

GofastRacer
    Dan, I did the exact same thing back in the early 80's with a 396 and an Edelbrock TR2X, I ran 90 in a flat with it, it does work!..

Infomaniac
    I ran that combo about 11 years ago. 427 BBC oval heads and square port Cragar (SSI) blower manifold.
    Could not find an oval blower manifold back then. Seemed to shove enough in to make it go pretty well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast