Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Choice for 27 Daytona (read before voting)

Cat & Mice
    Here are the details of the 2 choices; both are about the same price.
    For you guys that don’t know my last boat it was a twin Whippled SBC powered 28 Daytona that kicked butt. Everyone said it would not go over 110mph and it ended up going 149mph. I liked how it was different but it was really hard to sell.
    Option #1
    427ci Whippled SBC
    750-800hp 700lbs tq on pump gas - 900-1000hp on 100octane
    Pro’s
    7500 Redline
    Drysump
    Custom sheet metal intake (Super cool)
    250lbs lighter
    More Fuel efficient at cruse then BBC
    Cheaper Insurance
    Easy on Drive
    Quieter at idle
    Custom and Unique
    Con’s
    People don’t get it
    Custom
    Harder to sell
    Higher RPM cruise (edit)
    Higher price per HP (edit)
    Option #2
    540ci Whippled BBC
    850-900hp 850lbs tq on pump gas - 950-1050hp on 100octane
    Pro’s
    Standard and Off the shelf parts
    Big easy power
    People are comfortable with this setup
    Easier to sell
    Big obnoxious sound (kind of a pro & a con)
    Cheaper per HP
    Con’s
    Boring (everyone has seen this setup)
    Big and heavy
    Harder to insure
    Harder on Drive

Paulie
    small block all the way just to piss some people off that thing bigger is better

Cat & Mice
    That was one of the fun things about my last boat. People couldn't pass me and when they found out I just had small blocks they where pissed
    MP

Paulie
    i did vote Maybe call up turbine marine:idea:

YeLLowBoaT
    with the small block you would be pretty limited on the size of the prop you could run.( need more revs to make same power)
    I also don't think your INS company will know the diff between 800 hp sbc and 800 hp bbc... All they will see is 800 hp.
    I would also ask yourself which will last longer, after all who cares how much power you make if your always getting towed in by a bayliner or its always at the shop getting something fixed.
    If you really want to do something diffrent... why not build like a ford/mopar/other GM( like pontiac or buick)/ other motor. That would be diffrent.

Cat & Mice
    with the small block you would be pretty limited on the size of the prop you could run.( need more revs to make same power)
    I also don't think your INS company will know the diff between 800 hp sbc and 800 hp bbc... All they will see is 800 hp.
    I would also ask yourself which will last longer, after all who cares how much power you make if your always getting towed in by a bayliner or its always at the shop getting something fixed.
    If you really want to do something diffrent... why not build like a ford/mopar/other GM( like pontiac or buick)/ other motor. That would be diffrent.
    Don't want to get into details but it does make a difference on insurance.
    I am not a fan of anything other then GM power when it comes to pushrod motors.
    Prop size shouldn't be a problem since I can run 1.5 ratio and can spin high rpms.
    Nto to worried about how long it will last since it won't run at WOT very often and I have seem some pretty strong SBC last a long time.
    My last boats motors never got worked hard. Even after long poker runs they never got hot and oil always looked brand new. Now granted that was a 140mph plus boat so 80 was a walk in the park.
    Good points though!
    So what is your vote?
    MP

blown65
    I voted SBC.

YeLLowBoaT
    Its hard to say which way I would lean. I guess with me it would be which ever motor can do the job for the lowest build cost AND lowest operating cost. I know you said the build cost is the same, but what would it cost to run a hour?( in time and money... ) Sound like you have a pretty tricked out small block vs a pretty "simple" big block. I have never been one to like extra "gadgets" on anything I own. Its just more to go wrong.
    Then again, if I really wanted to be diffrent.( and had the cash...) I would build something that no one else has.( IE non push rod) Lots of stuff out there these days. Really with every thing after market, its not a chevy or ford any more... its a complation of diffrent parts from a lot of diffrent manufactors.

Cat & Mice
    Good piont about more things to go wrong, I sure don't want to be messing with it a ton. I think the only thing the SBC would have that the BBC wouldn't is Dry Sump, I would think that would hold up pretty well.
    MP

pw_Tony
    You should run a small block dodge. Every Chevy has been offered and done in every kind of vehicle. But don't leave out the dodge, it's as light as a SBC, has much more effieciency, can get the same amount of cubes as a sbc, and generally make more horsepower and last as long as a SBC. But some people don't know about a Small Block Mopars potential. And Chevys are just a little cheaper to build.
    But it'd be cool 'cause it'd be original wit as much power or more. Running a SBC does not make you special.
    Just my two bits

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast