Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Octane testing?

time2burn
    All of us hopped up engine owners are quite concerned with the quality of pump gas. Anyone out there know if there is a gadget i.e. hand held tester that can check the octane of gasolene. I sure would be grateful for that info.

boatnam1
    hey time to burn.i work in gasoline refinery and to my knowledge the only way to check it is with a knock engine.i can tell you though gas stations are checked and dont want to get caught.gas does loose octane after awhile.so put in what your going to use.

froggystyle
    Boatnam1,
    Since we have an expert among us... What constitutes "AV Gas". I have been around airplanes for my whole life, my brother is an A&P Mechanic, and three different pilots who were at the river on Memorial Day all took turns poking fun at the "AV Gas" I bought at the gas station on the river. Alledgedly, it did not look or smell anything like any AV Gas they had collectively seen, and my boat did not appear to run too great on it. It was VERY clear with a blue tint to it. No hint of yellow whatsoever. It smelled like car unleaded, lacking whatever it is that makes it smell like Av gas. I drained my tanks into a friends boat with a stocker, and went to the airport and bought some real AV gas and I have to agree with them, it smelled nothing like it, and was a completely different color. It even smelled different burning. I would imagine that they are tested regularly for octane in car gas, but do you think that this "AV Gas" for only $2.09 a gallon comes under the same quality control parameters? I'm not really bitching, I am curious as to what the distinction is, as I'm sure a plane is not about to pull up to the I-95 quickie mart and fill up, so they would not be inclined to have a liability towards aircraft usage and subsequent failure. Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?
    [This message has been edited by froggystyle (edited June 08, 2001).]

RiverDave
    I'm not an expert here but my father had a few planes, and I grew up around the airport so I'll give it a shot. AV Gas or Aviation fuel is different from regular auto fuel becuase it is altitude sensitive. I believe that the higher you go (the Thinner the air gets) the higher the octane of the fuel gets to prevent detonation. The lower you go or the more dense the air is the lower the octane gets with a baseline of 115. Please keep in mind that this is based off of a conversation that I had with my father about 10 years ago. The 115 might be wrong but for some reason that # is sticking in my mind. See you at the River, RiverDave.

mister460
    Av gas(aviation fuel) is about the best quality gas on the planet! Think about it:contamination clogging up a car means you may have to walk a few miles. In a plane it means you have to FALL a few miles! Av gas comes in different colors. Pink and blue are the only ones I know about. These fuels are in the 115-140 octane range. I've seen lots of guys fill up at airports. I can't remember if it's leaded or not but I think it is. Don't hold me to that, though. I do know it is clean and very high quality. One thing to take into consideration, though, higher the octane, more resistant to burning. Only use Av gas in something that has high compression or burns real hot(under a lot of load.) Otherwise you may actually harm performance. But the only way to find out is to try it out and see how you like it. Oh yeah, don't ever use JP 5(common jet fuel) in a piston motor, unless it's a diesel! Jet fuel is kerosene! Just telling you becuase I knew a guy that tried it!
    "When in doubt, nitrous the *@#% outta that big block!!"

froggystyle
    Boatnam1 You out there? This question should be right up your alley.

dcraig
    Hey Mister460. I am thinking about adding a 125hp NOS kit to my 454 mag (carb) engine. Do I need to upgrade my ignition system or any other parts? My experience with NOS is limited. Thanks!

Nivels
    Originally posted by time2burn:
    All of us hopped up engine owners are quite concerned with the quality of pump gas. Anyone out there know if there is a gadget i.e. hand held tester that can check the octane of gasolene. I sure would be grateful for that info.
    Don't use Av gas the octain vares to much, if you live in southern Ca use 76 gas and add a 104 octain buster. If your motor has more then 12.5 compreson then pull the pistons and put in 10.5 or less. The motor will live a lot longer and save you a lot of bucks. Also check you jets in your carbs a little fat is better then to lean. The same thing with the timing.

hey froggstyle, congrats on the new boat ultra is a sweet ride.i ordered one in 93 before john took over acually i think he was just coming into the picture i think he handled the regatta that year for jerry.im seriously thinking about getting there new cat.but i have to try and get rid of mine. goodluck on the new boat boatnam2 formally boatnam1

skijake
    I also work in a refinery, Sorry to say there is not any testers that the normal person can use to run octane. The equipment that is used is very expenseve and hard to maintain.
    One more sad note is that starting in August the octane on premium fuel in California will be dropped from 92 octane to 91 octane due to a pantent that is restricting the manufactuing of 92 octane fuel.
    Some fuels that you buy at service stations that are listed as Av Gas is not pure Av Gas but a mixture of gasoline and Av Gas. some of these fuels are very good and have a high octane rating but you must be careful.
    Most Av Gas (put not all) have lead added and can not be dispenced like unleaded fuel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast