Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Knowledge is power

Moneypitt
    Sorry Poser, the "He/she with the most marbles wins" has been, and will be, the American way. There are factors driving our government from outside. ie: big oil, banks, greenpeace, agriculture/farming, and a host of smaller interests with the funds to influence the weak kneed morons that always seem to end up in the wrong places, and make the wrong decisions. From war to foriegn aid, to secret government funding of un desirable projects. We the people are stuck in a rut of inability to make changes, and an inability to change that!! I do not have a speel about "party affiliation" because it is usually the "lesser" of two evils in the voting booth. Which brings up another point. When "none of the above" was put on the ballot it was designed to eliminate both, or all, canidates. But the politicians arranged it so all that did was nulify that vote, even if "none of the above" got the most votes, we're still stuck with the next in line.
    When this country was founded, and laws and procedures inacted, the elected person was held accountable by the people that elected him. In todays areana, the "elected" is out of touch and out of reach of those they represent. Sure we can write to them, e mail them, call their office, and be ignored......It was much harder for an "elected" to ignore a mob with a rope!!!! It would seem we have the cyberspace superhighway to work with, and should be able to barrage the "elected" eaiser than before with e mails. But one little threat, like "get your act together and do what you were elected to do or else", will get you a set of matching bracelets as a "terrorist threat".....As I recall, the "proposistion process" used to require 2/3rds vote to pass. The "elected" decided 50% was enough to enact laws and policies. Why not 50% to recall the "elected". And do it TOMORROW.. Oh and one more thing I want to rant about.........Bi lingual ballots. 1st, you have to be a citizen to vote, agreed?....2nd, to be a citizen you MUST read and write and understand ENGLISH, agreed?.....So someone please explain to me why we need ballots in other than ENGLISH??? I think this should be high on the peoples list of wrongs that need to be righted, TOMORROW!!....Rant over, MP

We can have a "vote of confidence"...that would be a start.

Moneypitt
    We can have a "vote of confidence"...that would be a start.
    Just another angle of "party lines". You know when congress does that shit it is usually divided right down the aisle, and they're certainly not going to instigate a vote like that about themselves!!! Any president can only do so much. It is the senate and the house that continually screw us over with expenditures for some dirt bag 3rd world country that can't wait to burn our flags and generally shit on us at their first chance. Stop it all......We should have an easily accsesible report daily on what our "elected" are doing. Plain english, not some legal mumbo jumbo no one ever understands after all the "party" spin........I guess asking a bunch of ex lawyers to tell the truth is beyond hope........Example: Today I voted to send xxxxxx,(country) $xxxxxxxxxx,(dollars of YOUR tax money), for xxxxx, and xxxxxxx....In return for this expenditure we can expect to receive xxx, xxxxxx, and xxxxxxx. Or I voted AGAINST the above example.....I know of the congressional record newspaper, but to me that is not plain english. Why does the news have to be such one sided party bias, regardless of where we choose to hear it? The "no spin zone" is crap, nicely done, but still crap, and the other news sources are worse.........When was the last time you heard of a congressman/woman having a town meeting? Not counting election years when they need you money and support? One week a month every congressperson should be required to carry out 6 nights of open meetings with those that elected them. Ever notice how most, if not all meetings of this type are during working hours? The only ones attending are those who what a "piece" of the "elected" and have the money to carry out their plan.......How many working stiffs can afford to go to the elaberate BS dinners? Every "elected", regardless if its local or national should have their lives on camera 24-7.........What have you done for me lately???..........MP

Old Texan
    How about some thoughts of a "No Party" system. Just a bunch of independents running on their own. House speaker and Senate Maj. Leader chosen on majority vote.
    What would we have? Alliances built around common goals? Corporate lackies? (Already got those). Special interest group representatives? A Congress full of Lobbyists?
    Most in congress seem like they could never get along with others growing up, maybe they'd be forced to change and learn how to share or work together. Who knows.
    I have no idea how this would / could work. Watcha y'all think?:idea:
    It's late in the day, end of the week andcold beer sounds better than politics right now.

ULTRA26 # 1
    It's late in the day, end of the week andcold beer sounds better than politics right now.
    I'll second that
    JM

CA Stu
    Reverse every constitutional amendment and law that has been enacted in the last 100 years. I realize there are implications to this, yes I know. In the interim there would have to be TEMPORARY suspension of constitutional rights and possibly a dictatorship established.
    Best post ever.
    Don't give those darkies the vote! Women neither!
    And let's appoint a dictator to trample our few remaining civil liberties!
    You gotta be shitting me. Pathetic.
    “It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.” - Winston Churchill
    Thanks
    CA Stu

CA Stu
    How about some thoughts of a "No Party" system. Just a bunch of independents running on their own. House speaker and Senate Maj. Leader chosen on majority vote.
    What would we have? Alliances built around common goals? Corporate lackies? (Already got those). Special interest group representatives? A Congress full of Lobbyists?
    Most in congress seem like they could never get along with others growing up, maybe they'd be forced to change and learn how to share or work together. Who knows.
    I have no idea how this would / could work. Watcha y'all think?:idea:
    I reckon term limits are a better answer. And I mean 4 years, and out of the government entirely, not just out of office.
    Career politicians end up beholden to special interests every time, and end up not only out of touch with their constituents, but tend to totally forsake them, too.
    Sometimes they get the "I know what is best for you" attitude too.
    I'm with you on the beer, though.
    My local liquor store has some new Stone brewery 11.2% barleywine style ale. I'm going to see how many of them it takes to make me fall over.
    Thanks
    CA Stu

Old Texan
    I reckon term limits are a better answer. And I mean 4 years, and out of the government entirely, not just out of office.
    Career politicians end up beholden to special interests every time, and end up not only out of touch with their constituents, but tend to totally forsake them, too.
    Sometimes they get the "I know what is best for you" attitude too.
    I'm with you on the beer, though.
    My local liquor store has some new Stone brewery 11.2% barleywine style ale. I'm going to see how many of them it takes to make me fall over.
    Thanks
    CA Stu
    I've been arguing term limits for years now. Old Senators get to feeling like royalty in their elitist minds. Gov Romney replied about T Kennedy when asked how he dealt with him: "He's realy good for the state as he brings lots of "pork" home keeping the citizens happy." Grrrrrrrr...
    Deals and cliques is the DC way of life.
    Now about the "serious" stuff. Stone Brewery eh? Sounds like I need to try some. I'm about 2/3 of the way through a 6 pack of Broken Halo IPA brewed in Portland. New brew at the my TX supply store. Goin' down good. Cheers.....

Moneypitt
    Thanks
    CA Stu
    I'll say 3 in an hour, ......11+% is stout ale!!!! Thats more than a sixer of 5% Budweiser...Any other predictions?.............MP
    PS: I'm headed for the Jack...........

Just another angle of "party lines". You know when congress does that shit it is usually divided right down the aisle, and they're certainly not going to instigate a vote like that about themselves!!! Any president can only do so much. It is the senate and the house that continually screw us over with expenditures for some dirt bag 3rd world country that can't wait to burn our flags and generally shit on us at their first chance. Stop it all......We should have an easily accsesible report daily on what our "elected" are doing. Plain english, not some legal mumbo jumbo no one ever understands after all the "party" spin........I guess asking a bunch of ex lawyers to tell the truth is beyond hope........Example: Today I voted to send xxxxxx,(country) $xxxxxxxxxx,(dollars of YOUR tax money), for xxxxx, and xxxxxxx....In return for this expenditure we can expect to receive xxx, xxxxxx, and xxxxxxx. Or I voted AGAINST the above example.....I know of the congressional record newspaper, but to me that is not plain english. Why does the news have to be such one sided party bias, regardless of where we choose to hear it? The "no spin zone" is crap, nicely done, but still crap, and the other news sources are worse.........When was the last time you heard of a congressman/woman having a town meeting? Not counting election years when they need you money and support? One week a month every congressperson should be required to carry out 6 nights of open meetings with those that elected them. Ever notice how most, if not all meetings of this type are during working hours? The only ones attending are those who what a "piece" of the "elected" and have the money to carry out their plan.......How many working stiffs can afford to go to the elaberate BS dinners? Every "elected", regardless if its local or national should have their lives on camera 24-7.........What have you done for me lately???..........MP
    We would have a better chance of getting a vote of confidence than what you propose. Although what you propose isn't such a bad idea but it stands a snowball's chance in hell. Here in the Bay Area we have a far left wing congressman that thinks he is some sort of potentate. He has been in office for as long as I can remember and seems to keep getting re-elected where all along I thought we had some sort of term limits. This guy is a complete a$$hole, he verbablly abuses his consitiutents even the ones that agrees with him. If you are on the wrong side of him politically there is no end to his wrath. Publically stated he hates all Republicans and those that don't follow Democratic party lines. Serve the people? Not this idiot, he thinks he is above the lowly serfs that elect him but he is in a district that is very safe for any Dem.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast