Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Merc engine prices

Taylorman
    I was glancing through ***boat the other day. The latest issue shows big a$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ boats. One had the 700 Merc engines. The upgrade price for those engines was like $160,000. WTF makes them so expensive. thats crazy.

now you know why more and more boat manuf. are building in house, like HTM and MAGIC, or useing builders like phaff and teague. If some else ever comes out with a decent drive merc will be back to just outboards. And this also explains why they aren't really fighting smog laws on new boats, who else is big enuff to develop and certify engines for new boats if the rules get really tuff, (i.e. catalitic converters etc.) Laws like that could hurt small engine builders big time. Also don't forget that MERCRUISER, and MERCURY RACING are two completely differant companies, and merc racing is the one in la la land with there prices

DMOORE
    As long as people are paying those prices, they will just keep going up. Seems nuts to me to.
    Darrell.

BDMar
    I was glancing through ***boat the other day. The latest issue shows big a$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ boats. One had the 700 Merc engines. The upgrade price for those engines was like $160,000. WTF makes them so expensive. thats crazy.
    I agree big $$$$$$$. Just don't forget that an upgrade from 496's to 700's also includes transmissions, more expensive transom assemblies, waaaaay more expensive drives, mandatory full hydraulic steering, expensive tail pipes, more time to rig, etc.........

cfm
    Yup, those big $$$ engines usually include the big $$$ transom assemblies and huge $$$ drives.
    Price out a #6 drive by itself and you'll start to understand. Watch out - it's painful. LOL.

Rob Freeman
    at those prices i can buy 3 to 5 engines and have a great relationship with a engine builder , besides there warrentee isnt any better that my engine builder that i use , crazy people pay for theese engines i surely wont id rather buy a blown up boat motor in a boat for way less i can get a 598 marine engine with one year warrenty for 10000 built by a shop in nc that builds for some of the nascar , and busch cars , also a reseach and developement for nascar been in buisness for 30 years strong ive got one from them and its pretty darn strong alluminum heads , forged everthing , best deal ive found by far cant even buy a 502 from merc for this price , and myne is all new , with a warrenty , dyno proven results , the money ive saved will buy my two new xr drives one for the boat and one for spare mecury can kiss my butt !!! tand l engine developement nc

BDMar
    at those prices i can buy 3 to 5 engines and have a great relationship with a engine builder , besides there warrentee isnt any better that my engine builder that i use , crazy people pay for theese engines i surely wont id rather buy a blown up boat motor in a boat for way less i can get a 598 marine engine with one year warrenty for 10000 built by a shop in nc that builds for some of the nascar , and busch cars , also a reseach and developement for nascar been in buisness for 30 years strong ive got one from them and its pretty darn strong alluminum heads , forged everthing , best deal ive found by far cant even buy a 502 from merc for this price , and myne is all new , with a warrenty , dyno proven results , the money ive saved will buy my two new xr drives one for the boat and one for spare mecury can kiss my butt !!! tand l engine developement nc
    Apples to Oranges..... You absolutely cannot buy a "READY TO RUN" completely marinized, with CMI headers, marine engine for $10,000.00. Then add a supercharger with fuel injection, a #6 transom assy, NXT or #6 drive.....
    Lets build a 598 with the best parts..... Lunati crank $2000.00, Dart heads ready to run that will support 598 CI $3000.00, Dart Block $2000.00, Oliver rods $900.00, JE pistons $750.00, oil pan assy $600.00, We are at $9250.00 and you still need oil pump, camshaft, lifters, push rods, rockers, valve covers, intake manifold, carburetor, distributor, ignition, flywheel, head bolts, harmonic balancer, plug wires, spark plugs, starter, assembly labor, etc. etc......
    What do you get for $10,000.00???

Rob Freeman
    Here is my dyno sheet.
    700 horse for 10 grand

Rob Freeman
    the way i see it as soon as you say marine everthing doubles , triples , as much as they can screw you for . when they are pretty much the same , minus some clearence issues , well for 70 grand you can get a merc 700 not!!

BDMar
    Your invoice doesn't show us anything about what parts were used in building the engine. I am sure you are happy and that is all that counts.
    My point is that you are stating facts about a product that you know very little about. You can buy a double wide trailer for $25,000.00, but you can't compare it to a 4 bedroom home on 2 acres. Two completely different products.
    One is a base engine with a carburetor and a Pertronix distributor. The other is a highly sophisticated, fuel injected, supercharged, electronically controlled boost system, CMI Stainless headers, etc. with a transmission, transom assembly, and speedmaster drive. The drive alone is costs more than your engine and drive combined.
    I am not saying that you did not get a good deal or that your engine will not do everything you need it to. I'm sure it will be great for you.
    The bottom line is that an engine builder or mfg. can only give you the quality of parts that the consumer is paying for.
    I'm out

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast