Thread: So Will THIS WORK??

pw_Tony
    O.k. so I wanna paint my boat but I don't want jack stand marks and it's gonna be a different color. I don't wanna take my motor out to rotate it so I was seein what you guys thought of this ide of some a-frames?
    http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3...8187lu2.th.png (http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9998187lu2.png)

BrendellaJet
    That could work. To do mine I set it on a set of bunks I built, paint the top & sides, speedcoated the bottom.

pw_Tony
    Speed coated the bottom?

YeLLowBoaT
    with the motor out is not hard to rotate with 2 engine hoists... now taking it off the trailer is ez.

pw_Tony
    Yeah but how do I paint the bow then?

If you have a rubrail, mask the top and sprey the bottom, flip her over and mask the fresh bottom to sprey the top!
    Other than that if you are capped, do the same but when you flip her back over, elevate the boat in the fromt to pull a nice crest under the bow, so all you will have is a clear line.
    The whole "A"frame idea is not a bad idea, i think it is more like re-inventing the wheel!
    Todd

pw_Tony
    Yeah that's what I would normally do but I don't want to take the engine out, so I can't flip it. Even if I did take it out I think my hull weights 1600lbs on it's own...

flat broke
    Yeah that's what I would normally do but I don't want to take the engine out, so I can't flip it. Even if I did take it out I think my hull weights 1600lbs on it's own...
    You CAN flip it on your own. I did mine (same hull as yours) with 3 people and 2 engine hoists. Build a dolly for it to sit on upside down, do you work/paint, then flip it back over onto the dolly the otherway, and paint the top half just like Todd said.
    The results you get in terms of speed, appearance, and pride of ownership are directly related to the time and attention to detail you spend on your boat. Take the time, pull the motor, flip the boat, go to town.
    Not sure about the whole "paint" thing, but to each their own. Quality paint and gelcoat aren't that far apart in terms of materials cost. And while the gel is more work, it'll take day to day wear and tear better. The prep work is the suck part of the job, and you'd do the same amount of prep for gel or paint, so why not go the route that will probably last longer?
    Have fun,
    Chris

pw_Tony
    Oh I know how to do paint, I grew up in a body shop and have been doing body work my whole life. But thanks for the tips. I just wanted to avoid taking the motor out because I don't have a cherry picker at my new location, But I do have a welder and some jacks. And I'm definetly not doing a base with a gel, I think clear can last alot longer than gel coat, just from what I've done before. Thanks for the help guys