Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need info quick - o/b steer vs ski hydro steer

Big Proppa
    Getting ready to put a decent amount of HP to my hydro - the only problem is that it's an out board steer hydro and I wasn't really impressed with the steering capabilities on my trial run - Does anyone here know the limitation of inboard steering or a ski hydro?. I know sangster and those guys run them with know problem has anyone else had any experiance - when the tail kicks do you loose all control of the boat or is it really not that bad - I do the majority of my boating at the river and I honestly don't think it's wide enough for me to turn around.

cal***boat
    idea Bill; Call Ron at 909-886-3298 he can set you straight on what to do with the boat. idea

Sangster
    Hey Bill whats up..How fast do you want to go..Outboard steering Hydro's don't turn for shit..There made to go Quick, Fast & Straight..Our inboard steering boats are not your everyday ski hydro's..We've had a lot of modifications / upgrades to do what they do..They do turn better at low speeds than an Outboard steering boat..If your gonna run the river, I would rather be in an inboard steering boat. Our boats are usually ran on really Flat water..And so far we've had the Orange boat GPSed @ 113mph & the Black boat GPSed @114mph...As far as et...My boat ran 10.01 at 105mph @ the Drags when the previous Owner (Joe Gonzales) ran it a couple years ago...We're still playing with things on both boats trying to make them Quicker rather than Faster..100mph on the river/lake is pretty fast for the conditions at most lakes & rivers at least up North...Sure there's outboard & inboard steering boats that run alot HP & are very Quick, but it seems the boats that win lake / river races don't run much more than 1/8 mile as the conditions don't allow it without tossing you out of your boat, There's always a ski boat or swarm of jet ski's around ruining the water for full 1/4 mile passes..Let alone, ruff water tears hydros up..even at lower speeds...Triple didgets in a Sanger hydro is safe if the conditions are at best..Sounds as though a mediam to heavy laid- up ski hydro may be what your looking for if you want to run the rivers and still be able to maneuver at lower speeds..But remember..Over 70mph they don't turn any better than there Outboard counterparts..If ya want to go fast & turn...get a circle boat...Hope this helps you out Bill...
    smile_sp smile_sp smile_sp [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/118a44-med.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/118x8-med.jpg[/img]
    [ April 07, 2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

Big Proppa
    Thanks Socal - Sometimes I think he may be tired of hearing from me
    Sangster - I would be really happy with just turning at slow speeds - It honestly took a good 150 foot loop to get me turned around in the right direction a few weeks back -
    I think I'll do the ski hydro - if it's handling well at 114 what more could you ask for - well except 115 of course-
    Hope to see you guys at CFW -

Sangster
    Right on Bill...Being able to turn is a good thing.. idea ..But then there's a guy I know that would argue that...ain't that right Morg..Come to think of it Jeff knows too ....
    [ April 07, 2003, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

Sangster:
    Right on Bill...Being able to turn is a good thing.. idea ..But then there's a guy I know that would argue that...ain't that right Morg..Come to think of it Jeff knows too .... I would not recomend turning right, at any speed. If you have to- get the boat below plain & DO NOT!!!! touch the throttle. But we do live in America, If you want to scare the s*$t out of yourself & try to get the motor to pull your boat out of the water while it's sinking go ahead & try it. eek! eek!
    Morg.

Sangster
    Ha-ha-Ha-Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha..

Big Proppa
    UHHH did I miss something - what do you mean morg?

Sangster
    Morg was trippin' out while driving my boat one day and went back to his circle boat days( smile_sp smile_sp ) or somthing, and thought he could Hotdog it around at the other end like he would do in his Hondo......Anyways, the rest is a had to be there thing....It was Very Funny.. wink wink

Big Proppa
    OK Sweet!
    [ April 08, 2003, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Big Proppa ]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast