Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: e85 fuel, why aren't more boaters runnin it?

IMPATIENT 1
    if e85 is 85% methanol, and lots cheaper than super unleaded, why aren't more blower boats runnin it as their "cheap gas"? seems like it would work great in a boat other than using more of it than gas. it allows alot of timing too.i was thinking about it last nite and seems like a cheap way to run a blower boat without intercooler and make more power. anybody got any info on it? we don't have pumps here yet but i can get 55gallon drums of the stuff for 2/3 the price of what super unleaded would cost me. its got cylinder lube addictives in it, just gotta have good fuel lines.

sanger rat
    Volume is one of the main reasons. You'll need a bigger pump and bigger lines. Carb will have to be reworked to flow more fuel. In a normal jet boat 20 gallons isn't going to get you far.

e85 is Ethanol, not Methanol. Ethanol mixed with gasoline undergoes a chemical reaction when it sits too long in a tank (because it attracts more water) which leaves a non-combustable fluid on the bottom of your tank. This means your boat will start and run just long enought to get to the wakeless bouys and then die, leaving you stranded until you can bleed the "sludge" from your lines. Also, if you have an older fiberglass tank, ethanol eats fiberglass!
    Keep ethanol out of your tank!

STV_Keith
    E85 also gets less MPG the gasoline. So even though it's cheaper, you won't go as far on the same amount, so why bother? I'd rather have more MPG in the tank than less $$$ in the tank.

Infomaniac
    Really should try it before knocking it. but don't use it unless you need the octane.
    I plan on using it immediately when available in Oklahoma.
    A 12.5:1 street machine or highly boosted street machine. Or lake boat either way.

IMPATIENT 1
    Really should try it before knocking it. but don't use it unless you need the octane.
    I plan on using it immediately when available in Oklahoma.
    A 12.5:1 street machine or highly boosted street machine. Or lake boat either way.
    we're on the same page man, i thought it'd be a great alternative to runnin a full alky boat, and i bet i could feed the mill alot of timing on the stuff. i've driven flexfuel trucks that come in with the e85 in them and they haul azzz.

Unchained
    Is there any data on it that suggests that E85 is supposed to make
    more power than pump gas ?
    I find that hard to believe without a higher compression ratio.

Cat & Mice
    Big difference between Ethanol and Methanol
    the E in E85 stands for Ethanol
    MP

Big difference between Ethanol and Methanol
    the E in E85 stands for Ethanol
    MP
    The "M" in methanol stands for Methane.

Carnivalride
    For what its worth I'm seriously considering running it in my flat. I have a true 12.5:1 static compression 467cid BBC and av-gas is a hassle and race fuels are expensive for the kids tubing. Right now the closest E85 is 20 miles away but I'm supposed to be getting a station within 4 miles of my house. I know it won't run with my carb as it is but since I plan on switching to injection so I think that would be a great time to switch over. The machinist I use has been running it in his shop truck for well over a year now without any trouble (exception starting in the winter when its single digits). I've run it in my 04 Tahoe and it runs fine but I have to agree mileage suffers to the point that when figured in cost per mile the savings don't show for me. But my boat won't run on 91 octane unleaded that we have here either.
    Just my .02

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast