Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 455 olds

TAPPED OUT
    Does anyone know if they make any kind of heat riser block off's or plugs for a olds 455 intake. I have some on my BB chevy but they came with my gasket kit. I havent been able to figure out what to use to do on a olds.

PANTHERJET
    There are 2 options that I have used first Mondello sells a cast iron plug that has to be ground and fit to you heads easiest and cheapist second remove heads and valves and poor molten zinc alloy in through the exhaust port will the head is on a flat surface and then port the runners
    Thats the only two I have found that work

Jetaholic
    If it's a typical screw in type of plug, most manifolds are tapped for a pipe plug.
    Go to a hardware store and buy a few different sizes, and try them out.
    Oops...I feel stupid. For some reason I thought he was talking about the pipe plugs you typically install in the runners and water crossover in the intake manifold.

kp216
    Third option - I have a 403, but this is what I did.
    Edelbrock Performer non-egr intake. Once the intake surface was clean on the heads, I cut a piece of stainless heat shield material big enough to cover the egr ports on the heads, along with holes cut for one bolt on each side of the port. I don't remember what the thickness of the heat shield material was, but it was about the thickness of, or slightly less than, a sheet of paper.
    I then used a little gasket cinch on the stainless and put it in place on the heads, then good Ultra gaskets and everything back together as normal.
    It's been two years now and no leaks.

75MillerJet
    Well if remember correctly the Edel Performer intakes don't have the port for the exhaust crossovers (or am i thinking of the Felpro gasket set?) so kp216's idea seems perfect. I myself went with the cast plugs from edelbrock. I had to grind them and shape them to fit snug and flush in the port holes. I also put on a set of Felpro rubber gaskets which like i said before, don't have the holes for the crossovers. No problems here. Then again I don't have that boat anymore.

TahitiTiger
    I used Mondello's Jet boat green intake gaskets. As I recall they do not have the hole in them, and neither did my Performer.
    edit: called Mondello, no hole in there boat application gaskets

TAPPED OUT
    I tried those mondello gaskets and they just blew holes through the gasket. I took the heads off I found they need a overhaul, so instead of rebuilding these stock heads that dont even let the excess oil leave the head I ordered some edelbrock performer heads that dont have an exhaust riser port and are allot more modernized than the stock.

TahitiTiger
    I tried those mondello gaskets and they just blew holes through the gasket. I took the heads off I found they need a overhaul, so instead of rebuilding these stock heads that dont even let the excess oil leave the head I ordered some edelbrock performer heads that dont have an exhaust riser port and are allot more modernized than the stock.
    nice, I eventualy want to get the proper heads back on my boat. Are you using the oil restrictors in the main journels as well? along with the restricted push rods? Also I elongated the oil return hole the front of the block.
    What do you plan on doing with your old heads? Are they "J" code heads?

TAPPED OUT
    I am not using no restrictors on the journals or the restricted pushrods. I was told that these edelbrock heads will let the oil return like it should out of the head.
    The castings on these stock heads are "F".

malcolm
    Those heads are really Fs? They're worth money to collectors. Seen them go for over a grand on Ebay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast