Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HELP, BB Ford lifter question, Roller or flat?

Now, it was always my understanding that you could successfully (not that it is anywhere near ideal) run a roller lifter on a flat-lifter cam, but of course NOT vice-versa.
    NO! you absolutly cannot run a roller lifter on a flat tappet cam, or vica versa, there have been some that have tried swapping up hyd rollers with solid rollers but I really don't get the purpose

rrrr
    Now, it was always my understanding that you could successfully (not that it is anywhere near ideal) run a roller lifter on a flat-lifter cam, but of course NOT vice-versa.
    Give it a try and get back to us.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Give it a try and get back to us.
    I'll see where I can find room in my schedule to fit that test in, but don't hold your breath. I'm pretty booked solid for the forseeable future.

rrrr
    I'll see where I can find room in my schedule to fit that test in, but don't hold your breath. I'm pretty booked solid for the forseeable future.
    Most jet boat owners are.
    :jawdrop:

don johnson
    OK, I just want to get the Classic 427 FE Ford motor running, before my vacation, my 24' Campbell weighs nearly 5000 lbs, I coudn't make enough HP. Finding parts for a FE motor takes time and money. Comp Cam and most other Roller cams manufactors are special order only for FE cams, they take 3 to 4 weeks at best. CFM said I should call Barry at Survival Motorsports. Barry is the person who found the Cam to go with the springs I'm am using.
    The easy way would have been, Ford Motorsport Crate motor 550 HP $7000. I just like the classic mortor. I'm nearly at $9000 already. Its a simple question guys, what the advantage between roller over flat tappet.
    I drag raced FE's for years. The biggest problem on the FE head design is the exhaust port. A Solid Roller cam REALLY makes a huge difference on FE's. I changed from a big Isky (EE399) cam to a Comp roller and gained over 50 HP. That was on a 454 CI Tunnel Port motor.
    The crazy thing about all the FE Ford heads that were available; CJ/ SCJ, Medium Riser, High Riser and Tunnel Port was that the exhaust ports remained almost identical in flow characteristcs. Ford really worked on many different intake port designs/ configurations but invested little design into the exhaust ports. A Roller cam gets the exhaust valve open much faster and allows the inherently bad port design to evacuate the cylinder much better then a non roller.
    There are a number of variables that will dramitically affect the performance of your application;
    1. Do you have a good exhaust system on the boat? If you are running logs then you will probably loose performance with a Roller
    2. Have you invested in good roller rockers and rocker arm shaft end supports? The stock ductile rocker arms WILL break with a solid roller and without the shaft end supports you will be snapping rocker arm shafts like crazy due to the valve spring pressures
    3. What intake and carb are you running? You need to run a sidewinder manifold or Edelbrock equal and at least 850 CFM carb with a solid roller.
    4. One last suggestion, FE heads benefit big time from a torque plate valve job. This may be too late for you but it sounds like the heads are not yet assembled....
    You may be able to find a cam at Ford Power Parts. Its been years since I have dealt with FPP but they used to be in Downey.
    Just a few suggestions. Good luck.

The simple answer is that a Roller Cam can be designed with more aggressive ramps and lobes for quicker, smoother, longer, higher Valve action. This generally creates more useable torque and HP thruout the range of the engine's operation vs a Flat Tappet or Hydraulic Lifter cam.
    If you have a 427 that needs parts in Etiwanda, you should call me quickly. Seeing some of those other 'names' being offered to solve your problem leaves me grinning. The phone number is on the website if you want/need help or parts. RR
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123