Thread: Leak Help...

Run_em_Hard
    Just started the boating season up here and filled all the fluids. Went out last weekend for the first time and all seemed good. Washed the boat today to get ready to go out tommorrow and my outdrive fluid was empty I put a new to me drive(<5 hrs) over the winter and went down to the light parade for the first use and everything went great. I did new heavy duty gimble and bellhousing as well. I also did all new bellows and hoses to the ouside transom. When I put the new drive on I emptied the oil and pumped it up till it was full. And this will be the second time filling an empty bottle. Can't imagine it needing that much to fill it up??? I can't seem to find a leak. The only hoses I can find go from the bottom of the resevoir to the inside of the transom. Than from the back of the transom to the drive. Is there anymore hose that I can check??? It is going into the beilge. Help that fluid is expensive
    Thanks
    Tyson

rrrr
    You aren't clear if it is ending up in the bilge. Is it? If so I would guess that the reservoir hose isn't attached to the lower unit properly.
    When I change mine I put a clamp on the reservoir tube so it woun't drain out.......If you drained the reservior it usually takes a half refill, but not two.

Run_em_Hard
    The hose is attached good. There isn't any oil residue on the hose. There also isn't any residue on the drive anywhere and there is brownish oil in the bilge. So I would have to say that it is in the bilge. Is there any other hoses other than the one from the bottom of the reservoir to the transom?

kcvega
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have read before that it could be the seal in the drive being bad. When it warms up it pushes the lube out the seal into the bilge area. I just started checking mine out today after sitting through the winter. I didn't think mine was the seal because it drains the reservoir while sitting still but so far I've not been able to see any leaks on the hose or transom fitting. And damn it's pretty hard to get to. Someone with some knowledge will chime in soon I'm sure.

rrrr
    Hope you guys get it figured out.....

watergun4u
    ok first of all, you need to make sure that the resevor is not cracked any where, then there is a fitting that goes throw the transom so that you can connect the line from the res to the drive, make sure that the fitting is tight that bolts to the transom ring on the inside of the boat, then you need to check to see if the hose coming from the gimbal ring is tight, as well as the clamp holding it, just my 2 cents have had quit a few customers come in and have the same problems before, and those where some of the spots i had found the leaks,, good luck!

kcvega
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but it could be the same problem. I filled up my reservoir last night and today none has leaked out. So I'm now thinking it must be the seal in the drive letting itlleak out when it warms up. Would that be correct?

BadKachina
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but it could be the same problem. I filled up my reservoir last night and today none has leaked out. So I'm now thinking it must be the seal in the drive letting itlleak out when it warms up. Would that be correct?
    Very possible, it could be leaking at the drive shaft seal, if so you may not see it until it fills high enough to flow past the gimbal bearing. You'll have to pull your drive to inspect it.

kcvega
    I got my boat out yesterday and now it's leaking bad while driving. Had to fill the reservoir twice in about an hour and a half. What all should I look for when I pull the drive off? This will be my first time.

RODE'S WAY BOATS
    You will know if the driveline yoke seal is leaking when you pull the drive off the bellows will be full of oil and eventually leak inside the boat.At that point you should change the bellows also. You may also have a prop shaft seal leaking pull your prop off and look for oil in the prop shaft housing.