hi guys,
i happened in here looking for blower setup info and you guys seem to have it all together. please note that this is not going in a boat but my 1969 chevelle ss 396. i hope that you don't mind me asking some blower questions as my knowledge is limited and i'd appreciate anyone's experience.
my current setup is a .030 454 with 4 bolt main, steel crank, dimple rods and keith black hyper pistons. my final compression is about 9.8-10-1 with my 118 cc 781 oval port heads. they are fitted with 2.19-1.88 valves and have had the bowls reworked. the camshaft is a comp cams extreme energy 274H that specs at .553in-560ex lift. advertised dur is 274-286. dur@.050 is 230-236. ignition is mallory unilite and msd 6-al. with a turbo 400 trans and tight 10" converter with a 12 bolt and 3.73 gears it goes pretty good.
i just purchased a new BDS stage 1 blower on a weiand square port intake. it has a 50 top and 46 bottom pulley that accordinging to the BDS website should underdrive about 8% while generating about 7#'s of boost. i also have 2 750 dp carbs that have been modified with proform main bodies. they also have had the throttle plates drilled and 4 corner idle. i figured that the final compression blown to be about 14.7-15.1 which i know is too high for pump gas. right now i don't have the $ to install the right pistons, rings and blower cam. i REALLY would like to install the blower. i only drive about 1500 miles a season. mostly aggressively on the street. should i
1. wait until next year and go thru the motor next winter.
2. install a steel balancer with 1 key and just use aviation fuel or race gas(what octane)
3. install a water injection system. i read the thread and it seems as if this
might work. what system has anyone used on a roots blower with dual
carbs? i would think that being on the water puts more strain on the
engine than a street car driven at a lower rpm except for short bursts.
are the old edelbrock kits any good? what would be the most budget way
to pull this off?
competition products sells steel sfi balancers for $99 and i thought this might be a good investment. also would a carter nascar 172 gph pump feed the motor? i have a sumped tank that i plan on installing. what should my minimum fuel line diameter be?
i'm sorry about the length of this post but wanted to give as much info as possible. sincerely mike gridley