Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: America's Baddest V-drives!

Before any estimate of speed we will need to know what rpm the engine will spin.

ratman
    it runs 7000 rpm

ratman
    it runs 7000 rpm

I calculate a speed of 126.57 mph using a 15% slippage factor. This is just a mathamaticle calculated speed done from AzDon's speed calculator. It has not been backed up by radar or GPS.

ratman
    ok thanks for lettin me know

Dimarco Kid
    Hey Guys,
    Any of you know how I can reach someone who selld Kurtis Kraft hydros? Maybe a phone number etc.
    Thanks alot.

Bliz
    Ok, I may be a bit out of my leauge in the presence of you guys, but I thought Id share. My old man built from the "skeleton" up a Mandela flat bottom back in, ohh, I think it was around 1962. He put in a 392 Hemi with a 6 pack of 2barrel Rochesters, bored 30 over. Originally, he had straight stacks comming off the heads, but the lake association where we kept the boat filed many a complaints with him, so now he is running Nicson Thru Hulls out the transom. The V-drive sits between the passenger and driver seats and if I recal is also a Nicson(and sounds o so sweat at an idle). The boats been dry docked for 10 years now as he started to refinish its paint job and retune the motor. The finish is finally complete, but hes still looking for some parts on the magneto, any clues of a good hemi site to find parts??
    Im not sure wut kind of gears hes running in it,or wut pitch the prop is, but I know the thing moves like a rocket. He claims to be pushing out about 700hp running 100LL.
    The boat is our families pride and joy(at least for me and my brother). It might be a little outdated compared to a lot of the stuff you guys push now adays, but there is a lot to be said about a boat like this being built in a time when a 100HP outboard was considered a technological marvel. If anyone would like to see some pics of it, I assure you you wont be disappointed, just email me at blizac@hotmail.com and Id be happy to send them to you!! Thanks

rivercrazy
    Dimarco. I think GS Marine now owns the Kurtis Craft molds and produces new boats. I think they are located in Corona CA. As for Greg Shoemaker.

Bliz, here a couple sources for magnetos/parts
    www.huntmagnetos.com (http://www.huntmagnetos.com)
    www.taylorvertex.com (http://www.taylorvertex.com)
    Sounds like a pretty cool old v-drive.

SPECTRABRENT
    Rivercrazy,
    Call Joe@ Joe's Tooling in Sun Valley 818 768-4636. He makes this hull. I think Norm Grimes is the owner. I know Shoemaker & Grimes were is business together.
    Brent

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast