Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stevens is alive (kinda)

It's looking rough and sounds rough, but I finally got the mighty 390 lit off yesterday. I freed up the bottom end (water in the cylinders), took care of 2 stuck valves, drained out 2 qts of milkshake and 10 qts of water from the crankcase (5 qt pan). Threw the Holley from the Mustang on it and gave it a shot. I'm trying to hot/cold cycle it a few times to free up the rings, but at least now I can re-rig it and test fire it. Worst case, I'll pull the motor after alll the other systems are replaced and tested. Has that unmistakable FE sound... should be a cool cruiser.

maxwedge
    Nice! Did you wind up stripping the paint off down to the gel?

The paint from the deck and sides is gone. All that's left is primer, and that comes off with acetone. I'll be colorsanding and buffing the gel after I'm done with the fuel system and wiring. I have thecarpet from the rear seat to the transom removed and am contemplating leaving the original fiberglass finish (almost a flowcoated look). My son pulled the pump last night and all it looks like it needs is new bowl bushings and a seal. I'll take a few pics later today.

Big Kahunaa
    how's the arm

I'm headed to the doc in about an hour to remove the cast, pull stitches, and put on anothrt cast. I've had a little problem the past few days and hope he doesn't have to cut me again. :cry:

dmontzsta
    roost. the kid who bought my Lavey is putting a BBC in it, he might be willing to let the 390 in it go. It is a VERY good running motor, I picked it up from old rigger. It is stock out of a 68 t-bird and never been bored out, I checked the clearance before it was put in last year and it was like new. It has fresh heads on it, mild cam, edelbrock street manifold and that is as aggressive as it gets. If you are interested, let me know and I can put you in contact with him. I dont think he appreciates the 390 so I would hate to see it go somewhere else.

Well, those 390s ARE a big, heavy piece of crap, so if I can help him out by taking it off his hands, I will

dmontzsta
    Well, those 390s ARE a big, heavy piece of crap, so if I can help him out by taking it off his hands, I will
    exactly! I only see him on instant messanger, when I see him log on, I will hit him up. Should I give him your email address? or phone number? what works best for you?

Email works. I can give him the ph# if he responds

dmontzsta
    Email works. I can give him the ph# if he responds
    What is your email addy?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast