Thread: dart heads

ovrkll77
    I am putting the 345 pro 1's on my 454, has a 6 71 on it. I was running l88's til I got a crack in one of them. So, is this a good set of heads for my motor.

FILUCKY
    345cc intake runner on a 454ci. ? No! Throw a 540 stroker kit in the mix and then you will have a need for those heads.

ovrkll77
    I was planning on making the motor bigger when I have more time, that is why i'm getting the bigger heads. Is this a bad idea? The cam has a 727 lift.

FILUCKY
    If ya plan on building a bigger motor then they would be great, the'll work on the small motor but you'll just not get the performance that you want. But no sence in buying smaller heads now and then needing to go bigger latter. Well though out and researched combo's always will make alot more power then just bolting on all the "big stuff" i would do some research on your cam aswell, sound like a N/A cam. Blower motors don't need as much cam lift or duration. Lots of hp can be made or lost with your cam selection. good luck.

ovrkll77
    since this is the cam I already have in it I was planning on just leaving it in for now. Will the bigger heads give me more power than the l88 heads that I had on before?

wet77
    I just had my 540 on the dyno and I am running a pair of Dart pro1 325 heads and with a 6-71 blower we seen 955 horse @ 6200 rpm and still climbing! along with over 800lbs of torque all the way thru the power band.
    I looked at the 345 heads and wondered the same thing but I am getting 1000hp out of the 325 ones so thats good enough for me!
    The cnc ones I am sure will be even better!
    Good luck

ovrkll77
    fck...I knew I shuda went with the 325's

VDRIVERACING
    No need to worry. I am running similar size RHS heads on a 468 with 8-71. At 3% blower overdrive, I am over 800 HP and more torque than I know how to use (21' cruiser). I can only use 3% due to class racing rules, but that could be 900 real fast with more boost.
    None of the engine builders I checked with suggested smaller heads (for what its worth), and they seem to work fine. My understanding is that the less restriction to the cylinder, the more usable your boost is. In other words, instead of building pressure in the manifold, it actually gets delivered to the cylinder. Unlike a naturally aspirated engine, the blower provides the port velocity. The 325's are good heads, but I would not get down over having the 345s. Turn that blower up and have fun!
    I strongly suggest you investigate blower cam characteristics. I dont know all the details, but it sounds like you might have the wrong cam for that combo, and that kind of lift causes a lot of stress on the valve train (that kind of lift for a blown motor is for very high rpm motors 8-10k, typically drag engines). A typical boat blower cam may be 650 lift, 280 dur, and 12 degree lobe separation. I gained a lot of power and response by going to this "less sexy" cam, and I turn 7500 rpm with no problem. You can find cams by Comp Cams and others only cost a few hundred bucks.