Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Benefits?

Wet Dream
    I was wondering if there were any benefits to this exhaust? Has anybody used turned down tips and some sort of muffler with any luck? I'm all for making my boat as quiet as possible so I'm not bugging anybody on the lake. All options are open, but of course there is a line of performance robbing that accounts too.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1174252100

LynnsJet
    That looks like an interesting idea. I already have the mufflers, all I would have to do is get them turned down.
    I think I will exeriment with it. I might have it by Anna and we can check it out.
    Do you have access to any sound measuring equipment?
    L J

patrolman808
    Wouldn't turning the exhaust down make it louder? I know on my vehicles where I have dumped the exhaust, the sound kinda bounces off the ground and makes it sound louder. I assume it'd do the same thing on the water..

Wet Dream
    No, it won't make it louder. Water does not have the ability to "amplify" sound, it could only reflect the sound waves. The water would have to be glass flat to get the exact sound out of the pipes. So, we know that doesn't happen, the water breaks up, dispersing or absorbing the sound waves. By using turned down tips, the sound waves would react similar to pointing a stream of water straight down on a rock, splattering in all equal directions. Now take the same hose and squirt it parallel with the ground. The water makes contact, after some distance, bounces, and makes contact again, further away. Like skipping a rock. Same principal as exhaust sounds. The idea is to keep the notes closer to the boat, not to where you can hear the boat a mile down the river after the boat has passed a family relaxing on their dock.

P-Money
    Unchained could sound in on this. He made extensions for his basset headers that angled down pretty damn close to the water line. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

P-Money
    Here ya go:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../Exhaust_1.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../Exhaust_2.JPG
    I thought I remember his saying that although it loooked strange, it was effective in quieting it down. But I'll let confirm that.

Wet Dream
    I did see this a few years ago. It is intensely more radical than I want to go. If the sound numbers aren't too different, a curved tip might be the trick versus a full out extension for a dB or 2.

Unchained
    That exhaust setup worked extremely well and was underwater and dead quiet at idle (like most boats) but the haters could'nt get a grip on any new ideas so as usual I was the only one who liked it, That's fine for me. When someone say's "that's the way it's always been done and it can't be done any other way", It's like a challenge. :idea:
    What's with that Motec sticker on the side of that engine ?
    I thought I was the only one who used EFI.
    He'd better switch back to an Enderle (jk)

Wet Dream
    I'm not the hater. I like the concept, but I don't have a split bowl or a ride plate for an anchor point. I like the idea, but won't work in my application. At idle is one thing, but what dB reading are you getting wide open?

LuckyDaze
    How about a good set of free flowing through the transoms. They make good ones that are quiet and efficient. Wouldn't notice much of a difference in performance.
    ~Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast