Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My official gauge question thread

TahitiTiger
    Let me throw a couple things back at you that may help with your decision. If all it is ever going to have is a mild 455, why do you need "dead nuts accurate"? Also, if you are restoring it, why would you put white faced gauges in it? If you are going to update it, call it that and run with it. If it's a resto, think through what era/look you're going for.
    Just my .02
    you have some very good points. There are three gauges I care about, Oil Preasure, Water Preasure, and Water Temp. the tach is kinda irrelevant I have a MSD with 5500 rpm rev limiter. The speedometer is a thorn in my side, I don't deem it that important, but when I tow a skiier or a tuber, I like to have a point of refrence, and my current speedo is junk, and incapable. I have gotten use to useing the tach to gauge my tow speed, example Skiier likes 2200 RPMs with the diverter full down. Now the hard part, SW does not offer a water preasure gauge or preasure driven speedo in any series, other than there marine series. Which looks no different than Beede, or Teleflex IMO. Also I don't want white faces, I want black.
    I am thinking it is going to be real hard to go with complete retro, I may just have to accept at one point, retro stops, and modern starts.

PM Jim Brock. I remember him posting he had a set of Medallions. I don't remember what gauges were in the set, but it's worth a shot. What is the hole layout on your dash (4 2" holes and 1 3 3/8", etc)?

TahitiTiger
    PM Jim Brock. I remember him posting he had a set of Medallions. I don't remember what gauges were in the set, but it's worth a shot. What is the hole layout on your dash (4 2" holes and 1 3 3/8", etc)?
    pretty standard 2 x 3 3/8" and 5 x 2 1/8"

Tahiti, as a former owner of a 73 Tahiti Tiger, I know exactly which gauges you have. Heck mine worked so well they got transplanted into a newer hull when the Tahiti was sent to the boat graveyard. Even my Teleflex speedo worked right down to the last run and turned out to be quite accurate when compared to a gps.
    Don't know why you want the water pressure on the dash. If you feel the need for one, put it on the engine. Once you have your cooling system set and pressure is where you want, you really wont need to keep monitoring it.
    Oil pressure is a different story, and the tach is as important as oil pressure. You already found out how useful it is when towing a skier. It is too bad that not all the gauge suppliers have a marine speedo that matches the other gauges. Even the old Teleflex was a poor match, at best, to the Stewart Warners.

Cas
    I'm assuming you have a speedo with a tube connected to a pitot (sp) that's mounted to the transom. If so, have you taken it apart and blown out the tubing? It's very possible that it has some blockage causing false readings.

Stewert Warner all the way. You can still get NOS SW boat speedos on Ebay, I bought two last year. I can't imagine what you'd want a water pressure gauge i a jet boat for, but again, I saw one on ebay last week and forgot to bid on it. doh (I'm gathering parts of an outboard, have all the gauges 'cept for that h20 pressure)
    Oh, by the way, you can still get the metalflake material for the seats too if you want to really go old school.

TahitiTiger
    I'm assuming you have a speedo with a tube connected to a pitot (sp) that's mounted to the transom. If so, have you taken it apart and blown out the tubing? It's very possible that it has some blockage causing false readings.
    yes I have. First lake trip the plastic pick-up broke off at launch LOL. It was pretty brittle, When we put the new one on, we blew it out real well. Unfortunately I think the gauge is just plain shot.
    As for the water preasure gauge, I had 2 extra holes in the dash when I removed the saddle tanks, so I put in an old volt meter, and a water preasure gauge.

TahitiTiger
    Stewert Warner all the way. You can still get NOS SW boat speedos on Ebay, I bought two last year. I can't imagine what you'd want a water pressure gauge i a jet boat for, but again, I saw one on ebay last week and forgot to bid on it. doh (I'm gathering parts of an outboard, have all the gauges 'cept for that h20 pressure)
    Oh, by the way, you can still get the metalflake material for the seats too if you want to really go old school.
    yes I saw the metal flake material, the uphoulster had some. Fiancee's (now wife) reaction set the deal, Her words exactly "OH HELL NO!" LOL
    I can't even get my Moon Eyes metal flake red steering wheel. Although the chrome, and pad on my OE wheel is still ok

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast