Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellow gelcoat

ratso
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...36DPowell3.JPG
    We just started a yellow repair on a 21 Liberator. I can ask my gelcoat guy if he is tinting a yellow gel or if he is starting with a neutral. I haven't had any problems yet getting the tints.

ratso
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...36IMG_0994.JPG
    I skipped the glassing pics, but here he is using the gelcoat putty to float it out. He doesn't do the exact match until he is ready to spray. I should have finished pics next week.

DUCKY
    The guy spraying your boat will probably use the commercially available yellow gel that was used to spray the boat, and may have to tint it slightly just to get it spot on. My suggestion for making your own was for doing a re-gel, since the commercially available stuff tends to be very transparent, and may contain small amounts of green or red pigment. The Valspar 5L-55 (Canary Yellow) for example has quite a bit of green in it, while the Composites One "40003" yellow has some red in it. Both are really nice colors, but you can make a brighter, less transparent color that is also easier to repair, by making it yourself.
    The repaired area looks good, BTW. Should look nice when finished

ratso
    We're gonna tint it one more time and take it back to the cleat and up to the tip of the fork. The color is about where we want it now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12