Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.5 TO 1.6 ROCKER ARMS

BOBBY MC
    I HAVE A 1988 FOUR WINNS 205 WITH A 5.7 CHEV OMC COBRA, LOW HOURS, AM LOOKING TO BOLT ON A FEW MORE H.P.'S. HAS ANYONE WENT FROM STOCK 1.5 TO 1.6 ROLLER ROCKERS IN A BOAT WITHOUT CHANGING CAMS. HOW DID THIS AFFECT POWER AND THE TORQUE CURVE. IM THINKING ON DOING IT FOR THE FRICTION REDUCTION ALONE. ALSO ANY OPINIONS ON A CARB SPACER. IM GOING TO THRU HULL EXUAST BEFORE SUMMER FOR SURE AND BIGGER SPARK ARRESTER, OR K/N HAVENT DECIDED, MAYBE SOMEBODY CAN GIVE ME AN OPPINION ON THAT TOO. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

HP350SC
    Yes I did,and got 0 more mph. Spend your money on vortec heads and intake,and a cam and carb if it's a 2 barrel.Definitely the thru-hull exhaust too.By the way I have about 5' of 4" exhaust hose left.E-mail me if interested.

mister460
    With just swapping rockers you might see a few gain in horsepower, but not much. It will increase your low end a bit so you might see an increase in holeshot. I stress the might. HP is right, spend money on some bigger power upgrades like heads, cam, etc. A cam swap is less than a set of roller rockers and you'll get more out of it. Go for the K&N and the new exhaust. That should help too. Just remember, heads and cam are the most deciding factor in power production. 1.6 rockers will probably help a little more with a better cam anyway.

waterbum
    I have a set of fully polished CMI headers with dry tailpipes(cooling water does not mix with exhaust gasses)that were on my 1988 210 horizen.These headers and tailpipes should fit your boat perfectly.New they cost $4000.Would like to get $2000 for them.They are not dented or otherwise munged up.If interrested E-mail me.I started where your at and ended up with a 471h.p. 383 stroker,king cobra lower gearcase/w nosecone,raised x-dimention 1 3/4" all of which was good for 70mph.I have since bought a different boat and am trying to sell off some of the hypo stuff from the Four Winns. Bum

BOBBY MC
    THANKS FOR THE ADVISE, I'LL PROBABLY FOR SURE BEFORE THIS SUMMER JUST GO WIH A K/N FILTER AND LOSE THE SP/AR, AND GO WITH THE THRU HULL, I'M ALSO GOING TO PUT A CLOSED COOLING KIT ON IT SINCE ITS NEVER BEEN IN SALT WATER BUT ITS ABOUT TO SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN IT (I LIVE ON THE WATER NEAR GALVESTON) I STILL MIGHT AT LEAST PUT A SET OF 1.6 ROCKERS ON IT SINCE ITS SO EASY AND QUIK. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A CAM? I'M REALLY AFFRAID OF LOSSING BOTTOM END IF I CHANGE A CAM, THIS BOAT IS A LITTLE ON THE HEAVER SIDE.

Rayhill
    I wrote to Hot Boat outdrive tech a long time ago with asimilar question. The outdrive tech suggested using 1.5 on the intake and 1.6 on the exhaust to promote exhaust expulsion?
    I didnt try it? When i went to buy a mixed set the parts people thought I was retarded or something?

Allan4
    Carb spacer may possibly give you more top end HP but they have been know to be tq killers. You may loose some midrange or low end with a 1" spacer. If you are not going to dyno, I would try a 1" and not a 2". Probably won't gain more than 10-15 hp or so is my guess, if there is any gain at all. Maybe try to borrow one before you spend the $$.
    K&N filter gave me an increase of 75-100rpm over stock or open carb. I was very pleasently surprised about that. I would recomend that for sure.
    Never tried a rocker arm swap, should give you more lift. Doubt you will see much noticeable gain. Have fun

HOSS
    Went with the 2" spacer. Machined for dual plane bottom 1", top 1" is still 4 hole.
    Hot Rod did an engine whereby they went with 1.6 on the for corners of a 350 with a few hp and torque gains.
    I know that from bench racing.

Hotcrusader76
    I thought bench racing was for fags?
    Just my 0.02 LOL

HOSS
    I dropped the fag part. That was for when I was as they say "hostile".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast