Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: West Systems Questions?

bikerboater
    Okay, everything is sanded and blocked out and looks really good. Now come the next question of primers/sealers. Can I lightly sand it down to provide a good mechanical bond and apply a Epoxy primer like DP40 and get a good mechanical and chemical bond? My experiance (cars only) was to put a coat of something like DP40 reduced to serve as a primer/sealer. From here I would lay on a high build primer/surfacer like K-200 and start my blocksanding. I realize these paints are probably old school now but hopefully you get the drift of what I'm trying to do.
    Thanks again for all of your help......john
    PPG doesn't sell the K-200 anymore. Too many VOCs I was told. I switched to Marhyde Ultimate 2K (Purple can) It actually works much better in my opinion. It sets up faster and is much easier to sand. K-200 always seemed to gum up the paper like it wasn't set off completely. Plus if you hosed it on too heavy it would develop tiny pinholes or bubbles. The Marhyde doesn't do this. I apply it over DP epoxy all the time. I'm in autobody and haven't seen much that DP won't stick to. I'm no marine expert but hope this helps.

bikerboater
    Sorry for the double post. server went goofy

Thanks Biker. Yah, I haven't seen any mention of the K200 on the boards though I do see K36 is still around. I always thought K200 was a step up but I can accept the VOC issues. I used that setup on my coupe back around 1991 and the paint still looks good (more of a garage queen though).
    I'll check out the Marhyde stuff too. Thanks again

bikerboater
    Never cared for the K36 myself. Definetly not as high a build and harder to sand. I also saw a lot of sandscratch swelling with it. A good friend of mine also has a shop & we both switched to the Marhyde and love it. Really good build and sands like butter. Been useing that system a couple of years now & no comebacks. Did a TR-4 over the winter with it & turned out great. Good luck with the project. Those dang rubrails never seem to be in the right place anyway!LOL

Lefty
    First thing I did was strip the boat, then I filled all holes and reglassed the cap.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/..._-_Nov_012.jpg
    Then I primered with PCL and block sanded.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/IMG_0003.jpg
    I repeated this process a couple times. I wet sanded and got ready for sealer. I sealed, put base color down under the orange then sprayed the orange and then cleared all in the same day.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/IMG_0506.jpg
    I then sanded and put all the different colors on in between each color. I cleared the different colors and re sanded. Hope to finish tonight. Hope this helps I will be posting pics in v-drive section when it is complete.

Damn! That looks fantastic...... Can't wait to see it done and appreciate the pics so I can keep inspired.
    What did you use for paint, HVLP or HP gun?
    Keep the pics coming

Lefty
    I used a HVLP gun. I have been spraying with an HVLP for years now, and I still have problems. although this seemed to come out a little better. I like them because more of the material makes it to your surface and not in the air. Good luck with your project.

Thanks Lefty. Your boat looks awesome. Hope mine turns out half as good as yours. I'm gonna try the HVLP dealio. That'll be new to me. I'm an old school HP Devilbess kinda guy but I'm gonna give it a try.. Congrats

Lefty
    jrork If you do try the HVLP spray your primer to test how the gun sprays because it is definately different, don't start with a new gun at final paint stages. Thanks for the compliment, but it's actually my brothers boat. I just painted it. Good luck with your project.

71tahiti
    Lucky Brother
    Nice Work!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast