Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing in Overdrive?

GRUNION
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...75354727Anyone do it? I have a 96 crewcab 1ton It has the 4L80. I pull my boat in OD but am a little scared to pull my 32ft show trailer in OD. It is real heavy when loaded with product. Actually it is even heavy without.

wsuwrhr
    My wife has a GMC Sierra C1500 we tow the boat and bikes with when we don't use the motorhome.
    I take it out of overdrive when we climb hills or grades. Otherwise I use overdrive at highway speeds on flat ground.
    We are talking about a few thousand pounds at best though. Nothing near what you are towing.

Havasu Hangin'
    I have the 4L80E, and I tow in 12,000lbs overdrive only on the flats. I put one of those big-ass (24K GVCW) B&M tranny coolers on, but I can still see the temp climb if the tranny is shifting often.
    No shifts, and the tranny stays cooler.

phebus
    Something heavy like that, I'd rather run the rpm's and burn more gas, then load the motor.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    My last truck was a 96. I allways towed in overdrive. It came factory equipped with the 4:56 rear end gears so the rpms were like a truck with a 3 speed. Had I dropped it down a gear for towing, it would have been reving way too high. The upside was it rarely needed to downshift.:messedup:
    I used to flush the trans annually and sold it trouble free after 8 years.
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysga...l_DSCF0970.JPG

HCS
    Some techs will tell you not to tow in overdrive. I fried the trany in my Suburban, one tech told me it was from towing in overdrive. I don't know that I believe that though. I still tow in overdrive anyway.

GRUNION
    I was thinking of changing the gearing My wheels are 19s but I run a low pro tire so its actually has a lot smaller tire on it than stock. so at 60 mph in third im really revin the motor somewhere around 3g seems a bit too high. I wanna shift but I was told horror stories of how bad it was on the motor to load it in overdrive.

Havasu Hangin'
    I was thinking of changing the gearing My wheels are 19s but I run a low pro tire so its actually has a lot smaller tire on it than stock. so at 60 mph in third im really revin the motor somewhere around 3g seems a bit too high. I wanna shift but I was told horror stories of how bad it was on the motor to load it in overdrive.
    I would think the tranny would be the weak link...the motor should be fine.
    I keep my revs around 2,600-3,000 on my 8.1, and it has been OK to date. For me, the key is just to take my time...if I get in a hurry, things heat up.

98 Vector 21
    I would not try O.D. the 4L80E is a strong trans but when it comes apart theres is usally no saving it! And at 3000rpm you about right, a tad high but not destructive.

little rowe boat
    If you are pulling a hill with the OD on and the truck starts hunting for a gear, then take it out of OD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast